Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Splashback waterproofing

amelia
Getting Established

Splashback waterproofing

Hi again!

We just bought a house that has renos to be completed. They almost finished a kitchen but the splashback is required. 

Our building inspector mentioned the board they have used is inappropriate to go under splashback as it is not water proof - I don't know what the material is but took some photos.

It starts as the normal hardboard on the walls (in cream/yellow) and then moves into this brown sheeting. 

Would it be reasonable just to put waterproofing or a Zinsser primer over the whole lot and tile a splashback?

any other suggestions without having to rip it out?

Kitchen (4).jpghardboard wallhardboard wallmoves into other unknown productmoves into other unknown productunder window sashunder window sash

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Splashback waterproofing

@gippslandhome 

Could you please assist @amelia with this one?

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellM
Amassing an Audience

@amelia bit hard to tell from the pictures, but I'll assume that is MDF. Unusual choice around a wet area, as it is not compatible with moisture at all.

I'd imagine they have used construction adhesive to glue it to the cement sheeting, which is going to be a nightmare to remove.

I'm not an expert on such things, but my instinct is telling me to cut everything out, the MDF, the cement sheet along with it and re-install new cement sheeting.

You could seal it with some type of paintable membrane, tile then caulk silicone to seal the join, but you are taking the risk that later down the track moisture will creep in and start blowing tiles off.

Someone with more experience may be able to give better advice, but if that is MDF then I do know if moisture gets to it, you may have to redo your tiling job.

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

amelia
Getting Established

Hi everyone. Thankyou for your replies.

In case anyone is wondering, we ended up attaching Villaboard over the top of the existing product, and then tiling the splashback over the top of that. I'll send some photos - it looks great!

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Many thanks for the update @amelia. It would be great to see your photos.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellM
Amassing an Audience

@amelia Great to hear you got it sorted! Would love to see the pictures of it now!

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects