Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Transition between two wooden floorings with very less gap

Megha
Getting Established

Transition between two wooden floorings with very less gap

Hi All,

We are changing the carpet to laminate flooring in our house as a DIY project.  Initially we assumed we would change the flooring of kitchen but later we realised that the existing flooring in kitchen is hybrid and better than what we are doing. So we decided to keep the kitchen flooring as it is for some time atleast.  The problem we have now is the transition between the kitchen and adjacent hallway flooring. Since we did not keep enough gap to install the magic plugs and the transition trim in between the two floorings, we have no idea how to fix this gap now.  Please share your ideas and expertise on how do we fix this.  The light colored flooring in the picture is hybrid flooring of kitchen and the hallway floowing is blackbutt laminate flooring.

Thanks,

Meghakitchen_Hallway_transition.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Transition between two wooden floorings with very less gap

Hi @Megha

It's great to see that you're still in full swing with your renovation projects. In order for you to create a gap between the flooring for the magic plugs, I suggest using a Multitool. The multitool comes with a crescent-shaped tool for plunging into surfaces. I suggest cutting careful so that you don't hit the concrete and blunt the cutting blade. My only reminder is to look carefully at which side you wish to trim so that the aluminium transition piece sits in the middle of the doorway.

I recommend putting on masking tape as a guideline and to wear gloves, a dust mask and eye protection. Please keep in mind that you'll be trimming 4mm at the most. Your goal is to provide just enough space for the magic plugs to pass through.

Let me tag our experienced members @TedBear and @Brad for their recommendations. 

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your flooring complete and ready for use.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects