Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What screws to use for 3mm MDF lining?

starofbasel
Finding My Feet

What screws to use for 3mm MDF lining?

Lining with 3mm MDF. What screws are best to put up curtain bracket 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: 3mmMDF

Hi @starofbasel,

Typically curtain brackets need to be screwed directly into the timber stud work or, at a minimum, attached to 10mm plasterboard. If these are very lightweight curtains, then you could get away with fixing the bracket to the MDF with spring toggles. I recommend the toggles as any screws you use will likely tear out of the MDF as it is so thin.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Mitchel, I have a vintage caravan. I left the plywood in, put a car insulation think foam on top of it and covered the insulation with 3mm MDF. I need a screw that catches the 3 layers. That is the best tread for that?

Selina

Thanks for the additional details, @starofbasel

Those expanding toggles won't work if it is a foam core inside the wall. Standard timbers screws will likely do the best job and catch all layers. Make sure you pick up some that are just long enough to go through all three layers. You don't want them bottoming out and hitting the outside skin of the caravan. Also, look for screws like the one I've linked to that has the thread all the way to the head. This will ensure that the first layer of 3mm MDF is captured.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects