Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What should we do with this kitchen

Steph1
Getting Established

What should we do with this kitchen

Kitchen 1.jpgWe are doing a DIY on our kitchen, we have purchased some new stainless steel appliances. Our house is a 100 year old miners cottage and pretty small. We are going to paint over the laminate cupboard doors but need colour advice.  Not sure what we should do with the tiles, we want to spend minimal money and will be doing everything our selves. Just had the new range hood installed and now waiting for new free-standing oven and refrigerator to arrive. We are also painting the entire kitchen and ceiling. But just not sure if we should keep it all white. We will be adding a stainless steel splash back, to go on tiles behind oven. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! One last thing, we would like to do something with the laminate bench top if you have any ideas i.e. paint it?

Thank you

Steph and Andrew

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: What should we do with this kitchen

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Steph1. We're really pleased to have you join us. Our members are sharing helpful information, advice and inspiring projects on the site every day, so we're sure you will fit right in. 

Let me tag some experienced renovators in @Mathy, @2Belindas and @redracer01 to see if they might like to kick off the discussion for you. Our resident Bunnings expert @MitchellMc will also be happy to assist when he gets back online on Friday. 

Thanks for joining in the discussion and sharing your renovation journey with us.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MonkeyLearn
Cultivating a Following

@Steph1 

You could try having a brighter colour like a green or red above the upper cabinets as a feature wall. I've seen this down a few times and have done it a few times myself. I find it can make a small room seem bigger and more cheerful. Good luck on the reno hope I have helped.

MonkeyLearn MonkeyBuild

r_j_h_drn
Growing in Experience

Hi Steph and Andrew, hope this finds you both well. We were in the same predicament as you with regards to minimal spend and making do what what we had but making it better. We painted our walls WA white, and our kitchen cabinets the same colour (In our case- the doors and draws where removed and taken to a spray painter we knew). The out come was beyond my expectations and it opened up the space, freshened it up. We painted the tiles also WA white tile paint which is a Bunnings stocked product, added in some shelving from Bunnings too, then it came down to styling (thrift stores). With regards to bench top, we had to settle with leaving it as is....for us it sort of worked and being we have small kids, we felt to difficult should we do something to the bench to police. My husband had trailed some options ie painting it and we were not convinced it was the right option for our family, not sure what you need to consider.

Can picture your kitchen as all white, with shelving above your sink area running along where your plants are currently stored, linking the two areas together to create a balance (a photo below of what I mean of linking areas together.

6CC14ECF-1574-4B5C-BD3A-3BAE11E5F69C.jpeg

below is a before and after of the magic of WA white paint and how 1 simple colour transformed an entire area. 

Wishing you both the very best of luck with your project.

533FF7C0-73B1-492B-86BD-7D3BB49192B6.jpeg

778DB6A3-5F3C-4B02-9F3D-06AA8D715469.jpeg

Steph1
Getting Established

Thank you for taking the time to give some ideas, your kitchen looks great and the shelving is definitely a great option, in fact my husband mentioned that too. So, it looks like we will do that.  I think white is the best option, giving it a clean look. Will post photo's once we finish! Thanks again.

Steph

Thank you for your idea, I like the idea of adding a bit of colour to the top area, I will post pics when we are finished.

your feedback is much appreciated!

Steph

Steph1
Getting Established

thanks Jason, so far have had two great replies from people, this is a really good forum to get ideas, so glad I found it!

Steph

Many thanks for joining in the discussion and sharing your thoughts @MonkeyLearn and @r_j_h_drn. We're really pleased to have you both join the community and trust you'll get loads and loads of helpful information, advice and inspiration for your own projects from our amazing community members.

Please don't hesitate to post anytime you have something to share with other members or need a hand. We look forward to reading more of your posts and learning all about your projects and plans. 

Welcome,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Hello @Steph1 

I totally agree with @r_j_h_drn suggestions on painting the cabinets, bench tops and choosing accessories that will enhance your kitchen. Below are some sketches for you to look at with different colors. Sometimes we have to step outside our comfort zone to give our lives a bit of spice! Be bold! Be Brave! No color is off limits! I hope you enjoy the drawings! Good luck and stay safe!

Cheers,

Red

steph11.jpgsteph12.jpgsteph13.jpgsteph14.jpg

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Steph1
Getting Established

Thank you for the sketches!!  We just got home from Bunnings this morning, we did an early AM shop bought all of our goodies, and two sample pots, we are going green! Thank you for your time and posting the sketches, really excited to start.

Thanks

Steph

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects