Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

When should electrical works for kitchen renovation be completed?

boscage
Just Starting Out

When should electrical works for kitchen renovation be completed?

PXL_20230716_080326264.jpg

We are renovating our old kitchen after water damage, keeping plumbing in same position but with some additional electrical (new power point for a dishwasher under the window and we are switching from a freestanding stove/oven combo on the far wall to a separate built in oven and induction stove). The electrical and plumbing will be done by professionals of course, but we want to resheet the gyprock walls ourselves and I'm not sure whether to do that before or after electrical cabling works? We think the far wall could just be plastered smooth but the window wall will need to have a new sheet laid. Thanks!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Electrical works for kitchen renovation

That's possibly a question best posed to the electrician you're employing, @boscage. It will be quicker and easier for them to lay the new cables and prepare the area without the sheet. They might need to return after you've laid the sheets to install the powerpoint. They can also do the job with the sheet in place, but they might need to cut access holes while connecting and routing cables.

It comes down to the electrician's preference and availability of a nearby power source. I'd just get a quote on the work, and they'll let you know at the time what the most proficient or least costly approach will be.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects