Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

eHelp with my old, water damaged kitchen

hanmckelvie
Growing in Experience

eHelp with my old, water damaged kitchen

Hi everyone,

I need help please with my small kitchen and some changes I need to make to it. It is U-shaped with open doorways on either side, with a wall at the back as well which currently houses my fridge and some cupboards and a window over the sink space. I am unable to knock out the wall next to the dining room due to strata rules (lame) so I need help creating a functional space that is light so that it seems bigger than it is (this is a 3x bed house so would be great to suit a growing family if I were to sell). Pictures enclosed showing the current state + layout/measurements. I've had a go on the Kaboodle planner however the sizing of many of the cabinets/pantry are too large for my space so I am not sure how that would affect my budget if I need to get customised items. I'd love to have a combined oven/cooktop, space to house my microwave, have a pantry and cupboards for plates/glasses, more bench top space and a liquor cabinet as well if possible (pull out at the bottom with room on top to house wine glasses etc). I currently have bamboo flooring which I can't change as it flows throughout my house into the dining & living room. Any recommendations/comments for a novice would be great - budget would possibly be $5k-$10k. Thank you so much in advance.

Screen Shot 2020-10-10 at 11.29.18 am.pngScreen Shot 2020-10-10 at 11.31.05 am.pngScreen Shot 2020-10-10 at 11.35.09 am.png

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: eHelp with my old, water damaged kitchen

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @hanmckelvie. It's fantastic to have you join us and many thanks for sharing your project.

You might like to start by checking out our Top 10 most popular kitchen projects for inspiration.

These previous discussions would also be worth a read through:

I've taken the liberty to put together a design using Kaboodle products. It falls well within budget, provides most of what you have requested and the cabinetry seems to fit well. 

This is just my interpretation of how I could see the layout working for you. Please let me know if you had envisaged something else and I can attempt to replicate it for you.

Mitchell

HanKitch2.png

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Oh wow that is stunning thank you so much! - for both the links and the mock-up design :smile:

Would it be possible to please see some of the cabinets be pull-out drawers that kitchen utensils etc can be stored? Also would like to get some suggestions of where to put the microwave - do most people have them built in as you have drawn to save bench space? Also not sure what to do with the rangehood and how the exhaust gets outside, would it need to run through the cabinets up top to access the outside?

Hello @MitchellMc 

Very nicely done Mitchell! Excellent layout. 

Cheers,

Red

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Hi @hanmckelvie,

I've replaced a cabinet with one that has pullout drawers.

The rangehood ducting would normally take the most direct route outside. Whether that is straight up through the roof or an exterior wall. You can also get a rangehood that recirculates back into the room if you didn't want to have to duct outside. I've changed this design to suit a re-circulating unit.

If you didn't want the microwave built-in, as per the design, you could always have it on the benchtop and replace the cabinet with another lot of utensil draws. 

Mitchell

redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Hello @hanmckelvie 

Can you please tell me the current measurement of your refrigerator. Do you plan to upgrade or keep using the current fridge? 

Thanks

Red

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Morning @redracer01 

I have enclosed an image of my current fridge which I intend on keeping :smile:

Screen Shot 2020-10-11 at 9.45.47 am.png

Hi @MitchellMc 

thank you that looks great! I would definitely prefer the re-circulation option, I feel the range hood will be dominant in such a small room.

redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Hello @hanmckelvie 

Based off @MitchellMc 's handy work here is another possible configuration. I used thermoelectric fridges to keep your bottles chilled, away from the oven tower to keep it away from the heat. You just need wine glass holders in the timber shelf above the wine fridges and its good to go. Enjoy the drawings and stay safe.

Cheers,

Red

hanmckelvie1.jpghanmckelvie2.jpghanmckelvie3.jpghanmckelvie4.jpgI even managed to get a dishwasher in!I even managed to get a dishwasher in!hanmckelvie6.jpghanmckelvie7.jpg

Fantastic render @redracer01!

It's always great to see what can be achieved when two different people put together renders. That way you can pick and choose the best elements from both. I was also thinking of including a wine chiller, nice touch.

Many thanks for your contribution.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects