Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

vinyl flooring

Marie1
Finding My Feet

vinyl flooring

Hi Im thinking of laying vinyl by the roll in my small kitchen as the cheapest optioned I need underlay?  its to cover very old floorboards, thanks

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: vinyl flooring

Hi @Marie1,

Welcome to the community. We trust you'll get loads of helpful information, advice and inspiration for this project and many more to come in the future from our clever and creative members. 

Can I recommend you start by checking out this D.I.Y. Advice on the Bunnings website - How to lay vinyl plank flooring. The planks shown already have underlay as part of the board. 

If you'd like more specific advice about your kitchen, please share some photos of your floorboards so that members can see what you are working with and recommend the best way to tackle your job. 

Looking forward to seeing how you can transform your flooring. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Handy_John
Getting Established

I always find the quickest and easiest option is to lay Masonite board down before vinyl. It gives you a 100% clean and smooth surface. It is easy to cut and fit into position as well. 

Hi @Marie1.

I see you have already received some helpful advice from @Handy_John on your project.

If you do not have a very smooth service any imperfections in the floorboards underneath will show through the vinyl. It's always best to start with the right surface to ensure a great result.

As @Jason has mentioned the vinyl plank flooring has its own underlay attached so could be a convenient solution to not having additional underlay laid separately

If you need further assistance or have other questions, please let me know.

Mitchell

Thank you so much for replying, I haven't been able to post photos thus far because there are very old layers of tiles, vinyl, carpet and goodness knows what in the house which is over a hundred years old, but one thing for certain is that the room added onto the kitchen was a verandah,now enclosed but on a slightly different level to the kitchen in places.   The floor boards viewed from underneath are in reasonably good condition

Im edging towards vinyl on a roll simply because it would be easier for me to put down, I just dont know if I need additional underlay

Im really strapped for cash

Think im in trouble!

I did check this out but I dont want planks and the article doesn't really refer to vinyl on a roll and the different grades of thickness which is why I posted on here as accessing Bunnings is limited - not to mention I live 100k away from the nearest store, so I need to plan in advance to order and pick up, which is limiting my choices to online photos being accurate in colour etc

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Marie1.

Just so you are aware, laying underlay before the vinyl is done for aesthetic reasons. If you are not concerned about potentially seeing the outlines of the timber floor underneath or if it is not being completely flat, there is no reason why you can't lay the vinyl straight on top of the floorboards.

"very old layers of tiles, vinyl, carpet and goodness knows what in the house" It sounds like the vinyl will make a great improvement to the room. You could always test lay the vinyl flooring and if the floorboards are distorting it too much add the underlay after.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects