Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Bedrooms off a living area?

RenoQueen
Making a Splash

Bedrooms off a living area?

Just wondering what everyone's thoughts are regarding bedrooms coming straight off a living area. I realise it's never going to be ideal, but hallways can be a major waste of space, especially in a small home.

Would you be happy to have bedrooms coming straight off a living area?

If you have bedrooms coming off a living area in your home, is it ever a problem?

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Bedrooms off a living area?

As a teenager my bedroom came directly off the house's main living and kitchen area. It was not ideal, particularly as the television was on the wall next to my bedroom door. These days I think that if you can't have a hallway then you ideally want to have bedrooms up one end of the house (typically the front) and all the living areas towards the back, leading into outdoor living spaces and the backyard.  

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
May
Cultivating a Following

We in process of buying a house where the owner built a hallway, because she wanted a hallway for bedrooms to come off, very small house and it made it smaller, didn't help she had lots of nik knacks. She did have 2 entrances to her bedroom from lounge. We thinking of blocking off the one she put in yet after thinking some more might keep that one and close other to enlarge the bathroom. We will be demolishing her hallway and returning the dining room back to what it was yet keeping an opening for another bedroom so you enter from dining room not kitchen, plus makes room bigger and more of a flow hopefully in kitchen. I don't think it overly matters it could just depend on whose room it is. As Jason said tv on the wall can be a pain for noise yet you get over it or loose sleep lol
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Many thanks for joining in the discussion @May and a very warm welcome to the Workshop community. It must be an exciting time for you with the new house. We are really looking forward to reading more about your projects and plans.

Please feel free to post whenever you need a hand or have something to share. We're sure you will find a lot of inspiration and helpful information from our clever and creative community members. 

Welcome,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
BIM_Engineer
Former Community Member

@RenoQueen
Hallways may be a waste of space to some
But problems with open plan, particularly with heating, noise, air flow,etc, have a big impact
on poorly designed Building/Layouts.
 BTW,  Bim Engineering Acoustic Simulations are now impacting even on furnishing selections.hth

Three considerations from experience:
1. Insulate the adjoining walls, primarily for sound;
2. Use a solid door;
3. Do not attempt with small/noisy children!
I would imagine a living room with wooden floors would also affect the experience...

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects