Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can I trim hollow core internal doors?

monamona
Just Starting Out

Can I trim hollow core internal doors?

We would like to replace all internal doors in our house that was built in the 50's. The only issue is that nothing in this house is of a standard size! The door frame height seems  to be ranging from 2020 - 2030 and I was wondering if it is even possible to trim hollow core doors at all? Or do we have to go for custom sized doors which are a lot more expensive?

JDE
Becoming a Leader

Re: Can I trim hollow core internal doors?

Monamona  Once had to do this although it was to make an even shorter door. I just cut it to length at the bottom took the horizontal piece of wood from the offcut clamped and glued it back in with a couple of brads each side and aquadhere. Make sure to seal it (paint the bottom of the door) so moisture doesnt get in and cause sweling later.

JDE

Yorky88
Becoming a Leader

Hey @monamona  yes you can but it does depend on how much you need to cut off I generally just use an electric plain to customise a standard door to fit where I need it to go 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @monamona,

I thought I would stop by to welcome you to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's great to see you've received helpful replies from both @JDE and @Yorky88 and many thanks for your question.

You'll most likely be using doors which are 2040mm high. If you need to take off more than 10mm I'd recommend splitting the difference between the top and bottom. There are strips of timber around the perimeter of the door and cardboard in the interior. When splitting the difference it ensures the structural stability of the door is maintained and that you don't go completely through the strip of solid timber. As @JDE mentioned if you need to take off more than the thickness of the strip of timber you can simply cut and reposition it.

We look forward to hearing more about your project and would encourage you to let us know if you need further assistance or would like to share your efforts with the community.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi @MitchellMc 

I have a similar situation but I need to trim the sides of the door by 10mm. Can I use the same approach?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @garykemble. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about re-sizing a door.

Removing 5mm from both sides of the door would be within acceptable tolerances of most manufacturers. I believe you'd be fine doing so. If you mean removing 10mm from each side, that's beginning to push the limits, and you should consider removing the side runners and moving them in the required depth instead of removing that much material from them.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

missedout
Cultivating a Following

Some very good ideas - I've been missing for a month or so due to a bad fall which  meant 3 different  hospitals for a month.

missed out.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @missedout 

I'm sorry to hear about your accident, I hope you are feeling better and are on your way to a speedy recovery. Once you're ready to take on your next D.I.Y. project, make sure to post your progress. We'll be more than happy to provide advice and information.

Please take care.

Eric

missedout
Cultivating a Following

Thank you. missedout,

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects