Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can the light fixture be removed from ceiling fan?

newbie25
Growing in Experience

Can the light fixture be removed from ceiling fan?

I have cieling fans with lights in all bedrooms.I just recently got downlights installed as well . The fan lights have been disabled by electrician but the fans are working. I was wondering if the dead light fixture can be removed from the fan? I have the coverings that came with the fan. Apparently this whole thing is attached from the centre.

20211022_182256.jpg

20211022_182251.jpg

  

20211022_211246.jpg

20211022_182505.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Can the light fixture be removed from cieling fan?

Hi @newbie25,

My first thought is that the threaded section and nut likely retain the light fixture in the middle. Did you happen to know the brand or model number of the fan? I'm sure the installation instructions will have details of removing the light.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
newbie25
Growing in Experience

My only concern is about the wires. Although the electrician disconnected it from the main, is there any chance the black or red wires may still carry some electricity? It seems too easy to just push it back in the hole and cover it up. I found the manual for this fan lucci airfusion quest 2 ceiling fan.It only have the instructions to install light fixture but not about taking it off (wire safety).

CamScanner 10-24-2021 16.37.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@newbie25,

Unfortunately, an electrician is required to work on electrical appliances if it requires connecting, disconnecting, or terminating cables. So the only advice I could give you is to employ the services of a qualified tradesperson. I understand that this appears to be a simple job, but it's not worth risking your life and those around you by making a mistake.

Mitchell

Hi @newbie25  if you have paid a competent electrician to remove the power, then it is reasonable to think that they have done so.  However, I am one for doing safety to the max, so if you are really concerned you can purchase a non- contact tester from Jaycar for ~$25 and wave it near the wires. Best to turn all power off, then  cut through both wires on each unit to ensure that the is no bare wire at the tips. With power back on you can touch the insulation of the black wire while putting the tester wand near the red wire's insulation. If there is any power on those wires, the tester will show you. Here's a link to the tester details:

https://www.jaycar.com.au/non-contact-ac-voltage-detector/p/QP2268

Alternatively, assume it's ok (as it should be), but also be a little cautious by:

a) turn power off,

b) wrap a piece of insulation tape around the wire ends (after cutting off any bare wire if present),

c) slide the insulated wire back up into the central pipe. Use a knitting needle push them up if necessary.

d) remove the lamp holder section (unscrew that central nut) and replace it with the outer cover and its retaining screw. (Which is, technically speaking, a special nut, but who cares at this stage?)

rocky095
Finding My Feet

Re: Can the light fixture be removed from ceiling fan?

Slightly off topic, how do you open the glass cover. Recently got this installed but struggling to open the glass cover to replace The bulb.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @rocky095. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about removing a fanlight cover.

Generally, most of these covers are retained by spring-loaded prongs inside the light. I've highlighted them in the image below. Gently pulling one side of the cover at a time will allow it to ease out. However, some manufacturers might use a 1/4-turn locking mechanism. Is there a brand on your fan that might lead you to instructions for the unit?

Mitchell

prong.png

Thanks Mitchell mine is Lucci Airfusion Quest II 

Thanks Mitchell I was able to remove the glass cover using your instructions. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Love your work, @rocky095!

Reach out anytime you need assistance with a project around the house or garden.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects