Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Cheap and reusable sliding balcony door flyscreen

joineryjo
Having an Impact

Cheap and reusable sliding balcony door flyscreen

0CE4CD51-C089-4949-A47E-FCAF3804569F.jpeg

1F47CCC3-0822-42AA-B432-FBF9A3237D9D.jpeg

CB6445C6-4735-4472-A9DF-D870FB3F5783.jpeg

Hi everyone, so if anyone has faced the scourge of huntsmans and insects invading your home this summer you know how scary it is when doors or windows are left open. I rent and the landlord told me it would take thousands to put flyscreen up 🤦‍♀️. Bear in mind if I was going to stay long term I would have actually just made a proper sliding flyscreen door but seeing I rent I needed a more cost efficient and reusable method. Enter bunnings amazing $6 removable window flyscreen and the very price friendly $35 sliding door screen (because my balcony doors are ridiculously long) and the originals was too short, all I did was also buy a smaller window set slider (took that apart) and drilled one half into the original and now both are extendable and removable and will fit any new rental I go to with sliding doors. So easy and definitely a good interim solution. Thanks Bunnings!

The $6 permastik ones you can barely see either (below pic) and does the job:) TBH did not think they would work! But hasn’t fallen off in months and in extreme heat so far.

E6B4A68F-245D-4D57-A2E9-5CACD5F72FF8.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Cheap and reusable sliding balcony door flyscreen

That's a really innovative way to solve your issue @joineryjo! Congratulations on finding a solution that looks quite appealing as well.

I see you are not on the ground floor, so it wouldn't be an issue for you to leave your doors unlocked, but for others that are, you could simply attach a couple of these Sliding Window Lock Ikonic Aluminium to the track locking the door in position.

Many thanks for sharing your detailed instructions. I trust our members will find them of great use. Well done.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

This is why I love looking at Workshop posts @joineryjo .

Ingenuity, vision and adaptation. You are clearly a "can-do" person.

I wonder if those screens could be made into a removable cat flap with the use of a hinge on the extended part? 

Thanks @TedBear! Those are very kind words:) Being a novice I have found the workshop community really inspirational and helpful:)

Yeah, I think you can definitely turn it into a cat flap door (great idea if someone needed it!). The fly screen is easily removable and the frame is quite sturdy to drill a flap type via the hinge (though I would reinforce the corners depending on the height of the door). It can get quite top heavy if the small end is at the bottom and my doors are nearly 2.5 metres high!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects