Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How can i renovate a bedroom wardrobe and maximise the space?

Klarebear
Growing in Experience

How can i renovate a bedroom wardrobe and maximise the space?

Hello, I am thinking of how i can upgrade a bedroom wardrobe to create drawers, shelving and hanging spaces. Currently have the standard wire rack. We are expecting our baby in september and have the challenge of turning the spare room/ office space into a nursery. The room isnt that big 9.32sq m and the wardrobe has 2m sliders overlapping.

I really want to utilise the space in the wardrobe first to hopefully not need to buy drawers in the room. 

I have no idea where to start and would love some inspo, on a budget. 

Please help. thank you

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How can i renovate a bedroom wardrobe and maximise the space?

Hi @Klarebear,

Are you able to share some photos of the wardrobe so members can see what you are working with and provide more specific and helpful suggestions?

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Klarebear
Growing in Experience

IMG_3107.JPGIMG_3106.JPG

Klarebear
Growing in Experience

Hi @Jason 

Have uploaded a couple of pics, it was packed with hanging coats and jackets ive taken out. Excuse the mess, :smile:

Claire

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Afternoon @Klarebear 

Mess? hahahaha dont look at my cupboards! 

I was wondering how deep is the built in cupboard? 

Flexi Storage Wardrobe 400mm White Matte 4 Drawer Unit is the first one off the rank I saw. its only 400mm deep so even if the space is narrow it could fit?

There is also this option Flexi Storage Wardrobe 400mm White Matte 3 Shelf And 4 Drawer Unit its Just under 1.6m high and still ha sthe 400mm depth. It has draws and shelves that would fit in your cupboard. You could also run a half height hanging rail from the tall 1.6m unit.

Mix and match and join a few together and then change them as the little one grows :smile:

Dave

Klarebear
Growing in Experience

Amazing thank you Dave! 
These seem very straightforward perfect solution, okay cool ill have a play with measurements and see how i can fit out the inside. I guess i need to figure out placement of drawers so the sliding doors arent in the way.

Depth of wardrobe is about 56-57 cm so the units should work, and i found coat hanging racks from bunnings i could try incorporate.

Many thanks, wish me luck!

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

:smile: @Klarebear 

I can feel your excitement! :smile: I have no draws but the shelving type deal in my cupboard, (It was there when I moved in) and its still solid as

Wise idea about door handles and door openings :smile: I forgot to think of that :surprised:

Would love to see some photos as you install it! :smile: 

Dave

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Klarebear 

It's great that you've received excellent advice from @Dave-1. Just to add to the suggestions made, I also recommend having a look at the Flexi Storage Home Solutions 1225 x 335mm White Front A Wire Shelf. It comes in multiple sizes and can be cut down to fit any space. Adjustable, removable and resizable it's the perfect shelf.

I propose removing the doors to your wardrobe so that access to the baby's clothing and nappies will be easy and convenient. This comes in handy when it's late at night and you don't have to do yoga poses just to get clothing for the baby.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects