Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to add shelves to wardrobes

shadow
Just Starting Out

How to add shelves to wardrobes

We want to put shelves in the wardrobes of our caravan. What is the best way to do this?

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to add shelves to wardrobes

@shadow,

Welcome to Workshop. We're pleased you could join us and look forward to reading more about your projects and plans. 

I've moved your posts to a standalone discussion so it will be more visible to other members. I think it is also a topic that isn't restricted to just caravans - a lot of people might like to add shelving to their wardrobes at home.

Are you able to share a photo of your wardrobes and the dimensions so members can see what you are working with?

Thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

Most common way now is shelf pins. I have a Kreg jig that drills either 5mm or 1/4 holes at the right depth and spaced 32mm apart. My router guide rail also has 32mm spacing, not user friendly especialy when what you want to drill is already assembled.

Ikea have the best shelf pins for being secure, they screw into the sides and have a pin that fits into the underside shelf. It does mean two holes have to be drilled for each pin and moving shelves once pins have been screwed in isn't a pretty look.

Fleabay has pins that you can put a screw into the shelf.

Out of the remainder I would use the metal pins with a flat for the shelf so that the pin is trapped in the side once the shelf is in over the plain metal pins and lastly the plastic with metal pin that can come appart like they have in my kitchen.

You can cut a groove in the shelf to stop it from sliding forward but it is another chance to end up with wobble in the shelf if your not spot on with everything.

Isobel
Amassing an Audience

@shadow

We'd need more information to give help. Photos would be useful, as well as what you want to use the shelves for.

This might give you some ideas - https://www.bunnings.com.au/our-range/storage-cleaning/storage/wardrobe/timber-inserts

redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Hello @shadow! What is the closet material made of? How wide and how deep is it? Would it be possible for you to take a photo with your phone and post it on the site? How many shelves are you putting in and the most important part, how much do you want to spend on these shelves! Hope to hear from you soon.

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

The simplest way to do it (if your not concerned about seeing the mountings) is to get some small alum. angle and screw it to the sides of the cupboard..
Then your shelves can slide in and out as well..

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects