Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to control ants in my bedroom?

ivanptr
Making a Splash

How to control ants in my bedroom?

Hi Brain trust,

This afternoon, I noticed that my usually clean bed was teeming with ants. It's been bothering me because I don't eat in my bedroom, leaving no food crumbs on the floor, and I always maintain my bedroom in reasonably clean condition.

Upon spotting a battalion of ants marching on my window sill, I traced their origin to the holes in the window track and promptly sealed them. Now cant see any of them on the window sill.

Despite this, ants still manage to find their way into my bedroom.😭

I thought about spraying pest barrier on the brick wall and ground outside, but it's not a long-term solution because it will wear off after raining.

Any suggestions for a better solution?

Considering using ant powder in the carpet corner of the bedroom. 😔

This is how my bedroom looks:

https://youtube.com/shorts/uiIoKrgLtDo?si=SvmqrCc4DXXx2aI2

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Ant Control - where to seal...?

Hi @ivanptr

There possibly  looking for higher ground after lots of rain. As the only  other thing they want is water and food which your bedroom wont  provide.

How  do they get in ,  assuming no cracks in brick work and damaged  window seals  etc. 

Insect can access the brick air holes outside them there is ususally a gap under the gyprock and skiting board critters can get in.  But  ants are  smaller and can find other entry points.

In a new house It is  very good to seal between skirting board and floor if you have that option with no more  gaps it will keep  out all manor of insects.

Well I do recommend a  6 month spray 

Hovex 350g Ant Spider Cockroach Barrier Spray I/N: 0049853  $7.63

For indoor use.  spray around floor edge, window frame,  And even the wall outside  till the rain washes it off.

Put bed way from window if the it is  touching and spray bed legs to stop them climbing up them.

3 month outdoor protection barrier is 

Yates 2L Home Pest Long Term Control Barrier Spray I/N: 0205849  $25.05

• Kills pests for up to 12 months
  • Kills a wide range of pests including: cockroaches, ants, spiders, flies, silverfish and cat fleas. Kills & creates a barrier from mosquitoes for up to 14 weeks on plant foliage.
  • Great for entry points, hiding spots and around the perimeter of the home
  • Easy ready to use bottle - no mixing required
  • Kills up to 12 months indoors, 3 months outdoors
Yates Home Pest Long Term Control Barrier Spray is a total pest control solution that provides an effective knockdown and long-lasting control of ants, cat fleas, cockroaches, flies, mosquitoes, silverfish and spiders for up to 12 months indoor and up to 3 months outdoors in and around the home.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @ivanptr,

Ants coming inside your home happens to the best of us. It's not necessarily an indicator that there is a food source they can access; they might just be out exploring. Once you've cleaned them out of the room, wait to see if more appear. If they are in a line, follow it back to the point of entry. This might still be the areas you've sealed. At the first entry point, I like to use this ANT-RID and put a couple of droplets. It's like food to them, and they will return it to the nest. Unlike other sprays that kill the individual ants one by one, when they take this back to the nest, it kills the entire colony. I've always had great success with it, but it only works exceptionally well if you can find the entry point. You need to put the drops on their trail so they can find it.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

@MitchellMc @Jewelleryrescue  The issue is with only 5 to 6 ants scattered on my bed; we couldn't locate the trail and trace it back to the point of entry. However, today they seem to have vanished, but occasionally they reappear.

I'm considering placing a plate of cake in the center of the bedroom floor to see if the scent can attract enough ants for us to identify the trail and entry point😅..

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @ivanptr 

Ants usually come back inside the house once there is a hint of heavy rain. I suggest staying vigilant, it's possible that the ants have found another way inside your window frame. If you wish to use a barrier inside the house, I recommend having a look at the Hovex 350g Ant Spider Cockroach Barrier Spray. This should last awhile as it is not exposed to rain.

Save the cake for dessert.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects