Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to cut doorway through braced wall?

OldSmokey
Just Starting Out

How to cut doorway through braced wall?

Small bar off Lounge.Closing off old entrance. want to make new doorway through drywall in hallway. Cot out drywall on hall side encountered steel bracing need advice on how to proceed with thisgyprock cut doorwaygyprock cut doorway

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: how to cut doorway through braced wall?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @OldSmokey. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about cutting through a wall.

I presume you've already checked and had it determined that this is not a load-bearing wall. If not, I suggest you halt progress here and have that done.

Bracing stiffens the frame, so removing the brace shouldn't be an issue if you are adding additional timber framing into the cavity. I'd start by taking out the noggin on the right-hand side and insert your replacement timber upright. You can then cut the bracing and do the same on the left. Once the new upright timbers are installed on either side of the opening, you can install additional timber at the top.

Here's a helpful step-by-step guide: How to remove a stud wall.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects