Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fill the holes and gouge in my door?

vica
Having an Impact

How to fill the holes and gouge in my door?

Hi, mates.Good morning!

The handle of my bedroom (image1) is out of work. I removed the old handle and now there are two holes in the door( image2)

Second problem ,the flush pull of new handle is 7mm length,but the old is 12mm, much bigger than new one. (Image3)The old handle also left a gouge in the door.( image 4)I need your guild to fill these holes and gouge before I install a new handle.The thickness of the door is 40mm. Thank you so much!

vica

612121FE-6CE8-4111-94BE-2685FE238AD3.jpeg

CE14CBBC-4EA8-461B-B9E6-16B8F336D9D1.jpeg

0AC97153-7A96-4BB0-9E29-EBFB342795ED.jpeg

1A995D72-34B1-49F7-9481-2793C30F5486.jpeg

r23on
Amassing an Audience

Re: how to fill the holes and gouge

I need to ask did you try to cut this with a hack saw shown in other photos if so this will happen again you need a hand saw not a saw for cutting metal.

see this link

https://www.bunnings.com.au/irwin-550mm-fine-tooth-handsaw_p0127150

Also if you try score and snap with the amount of material on the edge it will happen as there is not enough supporting material

newfast
Having an Impact

I have seen it on telly when people work with wood tgey use some sort of equipment to lock it and then it doesn't move.

In my case, the 1st few inches were great and I was kinda chuffed that its coming along and just then it went pear shape.

Will get the correct tool.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @newfast,

It's great to see @r23on has recommended the Irwin 550mm Fine Tooth Handsaw, which is fantastic at cutting straight lines. However, I believe you'd still find it quite hard to use that saw to cut the curved corners. A jigsaw with a fine-toothed blade is what's really needed for this job. You don't happen to have a jigsaw, do you? We're obviously trying to keep costs down for you, but sometimes, as you've experienced, projects can run into issues without the correct tools.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
r23on
Amassing an Audience

Like all DIY / handyman there are a lot of things that need to be taken into account such as tooling materials and abundance of information / ideas solutions plus endless supply of YouTubs, I did it this way, which in the end it boils down to experience or the lack of. This project of your is the perfect example where having the correct tools would have made all the difference, as Mitchell has stated, having a jig saw would be of great help but make sure you do watch some YouTube and learn a few tricks and how to use it and clamps to hold the material down other wise you will be heading out for more material.

If you are going to continue down the track of the DIY I suggest you have a supply of clamps and good quality clamps for holding parts in place or clamping down. 

Unfortunately DIY is not a cheap exercise as you are learning.

Most of all I am looking forward to seeing the job completed.

TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

@newfastfrom the photo, it looked like the piece broke due to lack of support... I am guessing that the back and forth pull of the saw caused the (hand held?) sheet to flex and break at the point where it was being held. As you noted earlier, it is a bit flimsy.

Ideally you would put the sheet on a bench (or table if you can stop it being damaged), clamp it and then sawing is done very close to the benches edge. That stops it being able to flex when the blade pushes and pulls on it.   Clamps help, but if you don't have any, then holding the sheet down against the bench/table close to where you are cutting (not so close that your fingers at risk, of course) will stop it moving and flexing (and breaking).  Having another person holding the sheet still so it can't move around is big help too. If it slides about you are at risk of cutting into your bench or table edge.

Keep trying and learning, but mostly, be careful not to damage yourself or your home! 

Masonite sheets can be replaced much more cheaply and easily than fingers and good furniture.

Spot on with your 1st paragraph @TedBear 

May be I can lay on table and as I cut , I can push more out but will watch some youtube clips.

@MitchellMc - I did calculate the cost of me doing including time vs the tradie cost $280

@r23on thank for sharing ur experience and guidance.

TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @newfast  while you are checking how-to s online, here is a link to a video with some good tips for making clean cuts using your Multi-tool (although the video maker has a pretty super-dooper model, but the uses are the same).

The most useful parts are in the first half. 

https://youtu.be/X5oyljd-fTo

I hope your door repair project is coming along ok. For less money than you were quoted for the repair, you get some tools that you can keep for future projects as well as the experience of learning skills, also useful for future repairs, and the satisfaction of knowing you fixed it.

r23on
Amassing an Audience

Hi @newfast 

How’s the project going I haven’t seen any post to the progress of the door repair?

Have you finished it?

newfast
Having an Impact

@TedBear - thank you for the video

@r23on - just been busy with gearing up for the 11Oct opening hence couldn't contribute/update

r23on
Amassing an Audience

I look forward to seeing the end result

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects