Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fill the holes and gouge in my door?

vica
Having an Impact

How to fill the holes and gouge in my door?

Hi, mates.Good morning!

The handle of my bedroom (image1) is out of work. I removed the old handle and now there are two holes in the door( image2)

Second problem ,the flush pull of new handle is 7mm length,but the old is 12mm, much bigger than new one. (Image3)The old handle also left a gouge in the door.( image 4)I need your guild to fill these holes and gouge before I install a new handle.The thickness of the door is 40mm. Thank you so much!

vica

612121FE-6CE8-4111-94BE-2685FE238AD3.jpeg

CE14CBBC-4EA8-461B-B9E6-16B8F336D9D1.jpeg

0AC97153-7A96-4BB0-9E29-EBFB342795ED.jpeg

1A995D72-34B1-49F7-9481-2793C30F5486.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: how to fill the holes and gouge

@newfast,

I'd recommend Porta 30 x 30 1.8m Pine DAR Timber as the packer timber, which can be glued in place with Selleys 420g Liquid Nails Fast Grab Strong Adhesive. The new masonite can be glued to the packers with the Liquid Nails as well. Hopefully, our 1220 x 915 x 3.2mm Masonite Whitecote is a close match to yours in thickness.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
r23on
Amassing an Audience

Hi @newfast 

This can be a real simple fix or it can turn out to be a nightmare The first thing to do is to cut the the whole section out and that is dune buy cutting as close to the inside of the trim as possible, the thickness of the masonite does not matter at this stage.

once that section is out you can’t measure the space and make the replacement section.

holding the new section in place is simple. Cut three length of 50mm wide and the length must be 40mm longer than the span of the gap.

you will need two G clamps and good quality wood glue 

take one of the length apply glue to both ends slide the that length in behind the front panel so as 20mm on either side is behind the panel this will be at the top clamp in place and allow the glue. to dry repeat the process this time place the next section in the middle of the space glue and clamp in place 

With last section repeat the process this time place the length at the bottom of the space 

Now you have you packers in place .

cut the replacement section as close to the size of the gap in the door apply glue to each of the packers set the replacement section in place and allow the glue to dry. Fill any small gap with filler sand and paint I will create a sketch for you do not use hard as nails as this will cause alignment problems

You will have to remove some of the honeycombs out of the way.

I hope you can follow this process in the mean time I will do a sketch for you

r23on
Amassing an Audience

Hi @newfast 

Here is a sketch it can give you a better idea of what I have described above.

I would be wanting to make the replacement section a press fit (as tight a fit as possible) and applying glue to the edges of the this section.

door Drawing v2.jpg

newfast
Having an Impact

Thank you so much @r23on for detailed response and the sketch.

Your following statement is soooo true and nightmare part is scary for me.

"This can be a real simple fix or it can turn out to be a nightmare"

I"ll place multitool order, available as click n collect at Carlingford bunnings and try to cut as close to the design.

One of the part I am having trouble understanding is how the new wood panel be inserted to have the same flush without any gaps-perhaps I should worry about Step 1 and 2 first :wink:

r23on
Amassing an Audience

Ok the the problem is not really a problem at all. The three 50mm wide strip are glued to in at the back of the front panel they are now the packers that hold the new section flush. In order to get the correct size that will fit inside the the trim area you need to measure the width and length in side the trim area. with a new pice of masonite mark the width and the length use a square to ensure the lines are square to two edges. then cut to the line, leaving a little bit over size that way you can sand the edges back to a perfect fit. I will endeavour to do a sketch for you

I hope these sketches help

door Drawing v2.jpg

new section Drawing v2.jpg

newfast
Having an Impact

PXL_20210913_065306029.jpg

First thing 1st, i bought the  plain wood glue, liquid nail and the multi tool. Will watch some videos on how to use/cut etc

But thank you so much everyone.

@r23on - sketches are very helpful as it gives great visual guide

r23on
Amassing an Audience

If you follow the instructions you will not need the liquid nails the The PVA glue will do the job so long as you use the G clamps to hold the 3 strips in place to dry. Point make sure they is no paint on the strip as the glue will not do its job

Enjoy the project and the learning experience, “for those who have never made a mistake have never done anything”.

The other thing you will need is a putty knife and some filler the best to use is timber mate Australian made Australian owned I stress do not use builders bog.

Come back to us when you get to that stage.

newfast
Having an Impact

Thank you @r23on 

Re G clamp - any recommendation for the size (various options).

r23on
Amassing an Audience

Mitchell 

may be able to help with what sizes they have but you will only need small units not the quick grip type they will not fit inside the door gap

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @newfast,

These Craftright 50mm Heavy Duty G Clamps should be suitable. There are not really any various options as you'll need something small enough that the top jaw fits inside the cavity.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects