Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix paint peeling on ceiling?

Gan
Just Starting Out

How to fix paint peeling on ceiling?

I have paint peeling for a small corner of the ceiling in the living area and in bedroom. Rest of the area seems to be fine. Any suggestions? Thanks 

image.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: paint peeling from ceiling

Hello @Gan

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thank you so much for joining us and sharing your question about how to fix peeling paint from your ceiling.

There is always an underlying cause as to why ceiling paint peels off from your ceiling. I suggest getting a ladder to test if the ceiling gib panel has gone soft. Push the peeled area with your finger and see if the panel is soft. If it is, odds are there is currently a leak coming from your roof and water is settling in that part of your ceiling. the leak must be repaired before you fix the ceiling paint.

However, if the panel is stiff and strong it's probably moisture damage on the paint, it has gone off and must be replaced. I suggest getting a scraper such as the Craftright 5-in-1 Scraper. This scraper is a multifunction tool and will allow you to get into tight spaces. I recommend using Crommelin 1L Flat Aquablock Waterproof Primer Undercoat to provide you with a superior primer that will seal against moisture. I propose using Dulux Ceiling White Paint as the base coat for your ceiling.

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to paint a ceiling

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects