Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to hang a 20kg mirror with a deep back hook?

SheriBobbins
Just Starting Out

How to hang a 20kg mirror with a deep back hook?

IMG_20230125_145741_825.jpgHi guys, 

My heavy mirror has a deep set back hook. I have tried two different things from Bunnings so far with no luck, the Zenith Surehook Picture hanger 20kg plasterboard hook, and the push in 20kg plasterboard hooks (cant remember the name but easy to install).

All I need to hang the mirror is basically a screw head that is about 2cm protruding from the wall. The mirror will claw over it where its 'hook' is.  Can anyone help me?  Its going straight into plasterboard. 

Kind regards

Sheri

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to hang a 20kg mirror with a deep back hook?

Hello @SheriBobbins

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about hanging a mirror.

In your particular situation, I suggest having a look at these three products the Ramset 8 x 64mm Zinc Alloy Toggle With Screw - 2 Pack the Command Large Adhesive Metal Hook - 1 Pack and the Hangman Black Claw Hanger With Anchors - 2 Pack. All three products should in theory have enough mounting distance to reach the hooking point of the mirror. 

If neither of the three products work, one other way to hook the mirror is to attach a small piece of timber that is 40mm X 100mm X 10mm. Mount it using  Ramset 8 x 50mm Universal Anchor - 4 Pack and using one of the universal screws place one at the top of the timber piece with the extension that you need to hang the mirror on it.

If you need further assistance, please let us know. 

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: How to hang a 20kg mirror with a deep back hook?

Hi @SheriBobbins 

@EricL  suggestion below looks like the winner as it can theoretically support 100lb or 50 kg  approx 2x times the weight of your mirror but you will need a longer screw to both go into the wall fitting properly and  extend out the extra 20mm to engage the hook. Screw  length 50 to 60mm long with the same screw thinkness as in the pack I cant tell from product description.

Hangman Black Claw Hanger With Anchors - 2 Pack

No reviews yet
I/N: 3961741

$8.64

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects