Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to install VJ panels on a timber frame?

SPP
Cultivating a Following

How to install VJ panels on a timber frame?

Hi, 

I want to rip off my old MDF walls and place brand new VJ Panels onto the timber frame. 

From the videos I have seen, the timber frame needs to have a set spacing.

Can someone here explain why the timber frame needs to have set spacing. What if the spacing I have is not as per VJ Panel manufacturer specification. What can I do in this regard? 

Regards
Sree 

SPP
Cultivating a Following

Re: How to install VJ panels on a timber frame?

Thanks @Akanksha@Dave-1@MitchellMc and @EricL 

I suppose the next step for me is to measure the straightness of the studs and also measure the spacing between them. 

What do I do if the studs are not straight? 

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Afternoon @SPP 

It really wont make a lot of difference. As long a syou know where they are and you will be able to see it as you put the VJ panels in place.

If you are really concerned then mark in pencil say the left hand side of a stud on the floor and on the edge of the cornice/ceiling that way you will always know where the stud is centered.

Dave

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Provided the studs are not exceptionally misaligned @SPP, I can't see that being an issue. As @Dave-1 mentioned, just note their location prior to fixing off the sheets to them.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
SPP
Cultivating a Following

Thanks @MitchellMc and @Dave-1 

Now, I want to insulate the walls and ceiling of my house, what R-Value would you recommend? Can I just use R4 through the house? (Walls and Ceilings). 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @SPP,

R4 would be perfect for the roof, but could get a bit squished in a wall cavity. Measure the thickness of the wall cavity between the two outer sheets to determine the best R-value for the room you have. Take, for instance, the Earthwool R4.0 195 x 430 x 1160mm 7.5m² Insulation Ceiling Batt. Note it has a thickness of 195mm. If your wall cavity is not that thick and the batt needs to be compressed to fit in there, you can reduce its insulation value to less than a batt that is designed to fit in a wall. Batts should not be compressed as they need to be fully expanded to reach their R-value potential. You might be better off with an Earthwool R2.0 90 x 430 x 1160mm 16.0m² Insulation Wall Batt, which is designed for a wall. A fully expanded R2.0 batt could outperform a compressed R4.0 batt.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

SPP
Cultivating a Following

Hi @MitchellMc 

That makes perfect sense, thanks for letting me know. 

SPP
Cultivating a Following

This might seem like a silly question @MitchellMc but that 7.5 m2 here (https://www.bunnings.com.au/earthwool-r4-0-195-x-430-x-1160mm-7-5m-insulation-ceiling-batt-15-pack-1...) is for all the batts combined? Not each batt of the 15 pack? 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @SPP 

It's perfectly alright to ask these questions. Yes, 7.5m2 is the total coverage of each bag not each panel. One panel is 1160mm x 430mm which gives you an area of 0.4988sqm. When multiplied by 15 sheets you get 7.482m2. Please note that each panel goes in between the timber studs.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

SPP
Cultivating a Following

Thanks @EricL 

I generated a lot of waste from the demolition of the walls. 

See attached image, should I get a circular saw and cut through all the material to make it easier to dispose off? I can of-course organize a waste disposal service but I am looking to save money. 

Also keen for your inputs @MitchellMc and @Dave-1 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @SPP,

Could you please try attaching that image again? It didn't seem to come through, but it sounds like cutting the material into smaller sections would be best if you are trying to dispose of it in normal waste. You might want to contact your local council as they could have rules about disposing of building waste in your normal bins. Do you have a kerbside cleanup in the near future?

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects