Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to install a heater in a cemented in chimney cavity?

dyi-er
Finding My Feet

How to install a heater in a cemented in chimney cavity?

IMG_6122.jpeg

Help! This beautiful chimney has been cemented in. I want to install an electric fake fire heater in its cavity. I’m chipping away the plaster and then will hopefully use an electric chisel to remove the cement. Just wondering if I will come across issues of structural integrity if I do this? I live in an apartment so it seems like upstairs chimney is filled in too

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to install a heater in a cemented in chimney cavity?

Hello @dyi-er 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about installing a heater in your chimney cavity.

Before you take any further steps in your demolition, I suggest speaking to the building manager and finding out how the chimney cavity was filled up. This will save you the effort of finding out the hard way that the whole cavity has been filled with bricks or masonry blocks. 

You'll also be able to find out if the fireplace was structurally changed. If any structural changes have been made, I suggest engaging the services of builder to help you rebuild it safely.  

This would also be a good opportunity to ask the building manager if there are any strata rules or regulations regarding installing an electric fire heater in the cavity.

In regards to the fire heater, I suggest speaking to the manufacturer and asking them what's needed when installing it in a fireplace cavity. They will have the clearance specifications and the information if the electric unit can be enclosed.   

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: How to install a heater in a cemented in chimney cavity?

Great thank you. Everything has been cleared with the heater supplier already and in the process of communications with the body corporate. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects