Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to join pieces of a timber benchtop?

midas
Growing in Experience

How to join pieces of a timber benchtop?

IMG_8745.jpeg

Hello I’d be grateful for some advice please on a question I have about joining two pieces of a timber benchtop.

I’ve bought two Okoume timber panels (2200mm x 600mm x 25mm) that will be installed as benchtops on top of some melamine cabinets as part of a tv unit. I couldn’t get a single panel that would span the 3140mm length so I decided to join two together. My plan is to use one full length 2200mm panel in the middle and join two smaller pieces on either side (so it looks symmetrical and there isn’t a join in the middle of the benchtop). The first picture gives you the general idea although I only have one of the pieces of the bench top in view. The second photo shows the overall design. Note the vertical panels and fill join the bench top from above.

So, my issue is around appropriately joining the timber panels to form the benchtop. I was planning to use my biscuit jointer to install 6 or so biscuits between the panels and gluing them together. I know that biscuit jointing end grain to end grain is typically a poor choice as this is a weak joint. However, I’m wondering if it will be ok in this situation because; 1) the panels will be secured with screws to cabinets underneath thus providing additional strength, 2) there will be additional cabinets and panels joined to the benchtop from above (these should provide vertical support), and 3) the benchtop will span longways between two walls (if that helps for stability).

Will that work or am I kidding myself?

My back up option is to install a number of pocket screws (in addition to the biscuits?) to the underneath to add strength but this feels like overkill.

image.jpg

Many thanks for your advice.

midas
Growing in Experience

Re: How to join pieces of a timber benchtop?

IMG_8815.jpeg

Hey gents, just wanted to say thanks for the help a share a photo of the end result. 
I ended up joining the timber using a combination of biscuit joints and pocket screws. I used about 7 biscuits across each end and applied pressure using ratchet straps. While the glue was setting I also installed about 6-7 pocket screws across the joint using a kreg pocket hole jig. Once this set it was very solid and I was able to position the bench top in place.  
many thanks for the advice! 

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @midas,

Congratulations on your custom TV unit, it looks brilliant. What a fantastic place to relax with a cold drink and watch the footy.

The Kreg Pocket-Hole Jig is brilliant for hiding your fasteners, it's fantastic to see you had some great results using it. 

All in all, a fantastic project you should be extremely proud of. 

Please don't hesitate to share any of your future projects, it would be great to see what you come up with in the future.

Jacob

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Afternoon @midas 

That looks great! Well worth the effort you have put into it :smile: 

Looks so soild, Is there anything you would change on how you built the whole unit? I Actually like how you started with the base, It is like this goes with that plus that and then you keep going :smile:

Dave

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Brilliant job @midas.

Now that the job is done, I would encourage you to hit the Share a project button when you have a few minutes and share some details about your build. I'm sure community members would be really inspired by what you have achieved. 

Many thanks for sharing. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects