Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to make the screws of my curtain rod stay in the wooden wall?

YD
Just Starting Out

How to make the screws of my curtain rod stay in the wooden wall?

image.jpg

image.jpg

I have this double window in the bedroom with a heavy kind of curtains. The curtain rod had a half way support which has come off now. The wall is made of wood. I have these plastic expander things which I tried putting in the holes for the screws to stay in position. The expander thing worked for 1 screw but not the other. In the other these expander things kind of disappeared into the hole. How can I fix this? Ps: I don’t have any power tools.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to make the screws of my curtain rod stay in the wooden wall?

Welcome to the Workshop community @YD. Many thanks for your question, I'd be happy to assist with it.

The wall plugs you are using are perfect for solid brick walls, but as you are experiencing can be difficult to place in a hollow wall. There a few options worth considering.

The first option would be to locate the timber stud with a stud finder and screw the hooks directly into that. It would be unlikely however that a timber stud is located where you want to place the hook.

The other method you could use is a Windoware 50mm Single Curtain Stayed Bracket, then fix it in place with a Ramset Spring Toggle. This will allow you to select the area you want the hook and the toggles will also prevent the hook being pull out.

The Bunnings website has step-by-step D.I.Y. Advice showing How to install wall hooks. I will also attach the video below which shows you various methods. My recommendation is the hollow walls anchors as they function well with both Gyprock and fibro walls. 

We look forward to you successfully hanging your curtains. If you would like further information, please feel free to let me know.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects