Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to paint after wallpaper removal?

Nettie
Getting Established

How to paint after wallpaper removal?

I have removed 35 yr old wallpaper from a bedroom wall with a steamer, which was so easy.  I have some of the old paint coming off on the wall joins.  

Is there a simple way to "feather" these areas out?   I have tried sanding, but the small area becomes quite large and sometimes the edges aren't smooth enough to start undercoating.   

I'm trying to avoid stripping all the old paint off.

Cheers

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Painting after wallpaper removal

Hi @Nettie,

Thank you for asking about painting your bedroom walls, I am sure it already feels a bit fresher than having the wallpaper. Our resident DIY expert @MitchellMc will be online on Friday but in the meantime, let me ask, is the wall made from gyprock or plaster/brick? Are you able to upload a photo of the area you are wanting to paint? 

Katie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Nettie
Getting Established

Hi Katie,

The walls are gyprock I think (house built around 1978).  Unfortunately, I am not tech savvy enough to upload a photo.  :unhappy:  

Cheers  Nettie

Hi @Nettie  and @KatieC 

Merry Xmas and soon to be New year.

Nettie  I feel for you those runs just take off and go forever I hope we can find a cure. Great job  steaming  by the way and the right way for wall paper I dont think your a novice DIYer and you have some skills .  I am a little  bit concerned after steaming  how easy that older paint is coming off because adding new paint on top may fall of too later or it might just be enough bind the old paint.   So Nettie you be the judge here and  do you think the paints  failed, does it come of easy else where away from the edges if  you tap it gently?  

Well lets try stop that feathering by  using a  plaster  repair kit see below (it has all the tools you need and some you dont) and basically we are going to put a thin smear of plaster on the wall using a plastic scraper starting over the paint edge and feathering some new plaster out from the paint edge across 4 inches (100mm) as a guide keep doing this along the exposed paint edge.  Use a  drop sheet newspaper or a old towel to catch any plaster that will slide from under  for sure. (Clean up any dropped mess physically and wash carpet wet cloth at need ) Click on the line of blue writing here for video ( https://www.bunnings.com.au/diy-advice/home-improvement/walls/how-to-repair-cracks-in-plaster )  note you are not filling  a deep crack so just pay attention to the plaster application section as a guide if you need it.

The aim is to fill and slightly cover the paint edge with plaster and have the plaster smooth out dont worry if plaster is a little thick  1/16th of an inch or 1to 2mm as you will let it dry and then sand it with a foam block smooth so  the wall looks flat again.  You dont need to do a perfect job first time if there are any little bumps sand them off level with paint edge and stop there.  If  there are little pot holes in the new plaster simply skim in some new plaster over it when  dry sand in gently circular motion   1 foot / 300mm in diameter as a guide. Repair the  paint edge back to smooth and look along the wall to make sure the wall looks basically flat if the repair isnt fairly flat  add some more plaster and go wider over the  original repair line 6-8 inches 150 too 200mm  but becare full over applying as it will make a hump in the wall best to build up more slowly.

I know @MitchellMc   has some great  plaster tips and products he likes to use when he is here on Friday. :smile:

Bunnings Gyprock CSR 1.5kg DIY Rapid Plaster Repair Kit I/N: 0730662  $29.57

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

It sounds like @Jewelleryrescue is on the money, @Nettie. If you can't feather the paint edges in by sanding, then you'll need to fill the area with plaster and blend that instead. I'd suggest using a product like Gyprock CSR 2kg Rapid Patch. You'll need a plaster trowel to apply a smooth coat up the seam.

For your reference, to add an image, you just need to hit the little camera/picture icon above the text box when replying.

Please let us know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Nettie
Getting Established

Thanks Mitchell, but I am using a desktop, so need to take photo, plug camera in upload etc.  Never works too easily for me.  :unhappy:

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects