Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to paint laminate shelves?

Loulou2
Getting Established

How to paint laminate shelves?

Hi there,

I’m after some advice on how best to paint these laminate bookshelves. At least I think they’re laminate. There’s chipboard underneath.

I was looking into using the dulux renovation range but it says not to use on furniture.

Thanks!

F04B5FBC-BEB1-4C7D-B490-0BB1CF96DD83.jpeg

5C0C31B3-6C08-484B-97A2-7B227397ADB0.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Painting laminate shelves

Hi @Loulou2,

Sounds like it's a laminate surface. 

That warning against use on furniture is likely due to the high levels of wear and tear it typically receives. Using it on your shelves shouldn't be as much of an issue as using it on a chair. Just make sure not to drag sharp objects or unglazed ceramic vases across the surface.

The alternative is to prime the surface with Dulux Maximum Adhesion Primer and then topcoat it with Dulux Aquanamel. However, I'm not convinced this would provide any more protection than using the Renovation range.

First, you will need to prepare the surface properly by cleaning it thoroughly and lightly sanding it to help the primer adhere better. Once the surface is prepared, you can apply your primer. I suggest using a fine nap roller. When the primer is dry you can apply you enamel topcoat.

Painting laminate furniture can be a bit of a process, and it may require several coats of paint and topcoat to get the desired finish. However, with patience and the right materials, you should be able to achieve a beautiful result.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects