Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to paint over mural?

Anji
Growing in Experience

How to paint over mural?

Advice please on the best paint to use to cover a dark blue painted mural on a living room wall. Finished colour to be a warm white in a satin or Matt finish.Hope to do it in two coats.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: paint over mural

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Anji. It's wonderful that you've joined us and many thanks for your question about painting over dark colours.

Dark blue is a very strong and bold colour. You are unlikely to achieve coverage with two coats of white paint. I'd suggest you go straight to an undercoat and apply at least two coats of it. If you miss this step, you could be doing up to 4 topcoats of your warm white colour. This will not only cause you more work but will be expensive.

I'd advise using a good quality topcoat like Dulux Wash & Wear. You'll find it in both Dulux 4L Interior Paint Wash&Wear Matt Vivid White and the most popular choice for walls Dulux 4L Interior Paint Wash&Wear Low Sheen Vivid White. Satin sheen is not typically seen in interior wall paints. But satin sheen sits right beside low-sheen on sheen level charts.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Anji
Growing in Experience

Thanks Mitchell...good advice.Following the link I see there are some options.We have several walls of dark colour to paint over and all are in living and bedrooms. Would the Taubmans Tradex be ok.Seems the most economical.Anji

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Anji

My colleague @MitchellMc is currently on a well-deserved break and will be back on Friday. I recommend using Taubmans Tradex White Low Sheen Interior Wall Paint - 15L instead of the matt finish as it easily attracts dirt. I suggest using a compatible primer such as the Taubmans Tradex Ultra Prep White Undercoat - 10L. Please remember to follow the recommendation of doing two coats of the primer to completely cover the blue paint. 

I recommend using a premium roller such as Monarch 270mm Walls And Ceilings Roller Cover. It is made of high-quality materials and is purpose-built for low sheen paint. Please keep us updated, any photos you can post while painting your wall would be much appreciated.

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to paint

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects