Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to refit an existing built in wardrobe?

snowlaina
Getting Established

How to refit an existing built in wardrobe?

Good morning all. First time posting so i'm a little nervous! I bought a house last year and one of the things that attracted me to it were the enormous built in wardrobes in the bedrooms. However they are typical project home wardobes from the mid 90's and are the usual shelf & rod setup, and therefore aren't very functional. The wardrobe doors were also in awful condition, not salvageable, so I will need new sliding doors.

I'm not sure whether I should look at putting in components from a built in wardrobe system (such as the Bunnings Multi-Store, or Ikea PAX system) or whether I should be looking at making something from melamine shelving etc.

The dimensions are (this is inside the cavity so it does go slightly behind the architraves that are in place for the existing sliding doors)

Width 253cm

Depth 47cm

Height 242cm

20200921_111706.jpg

This is the sort of thing I'm looking for.... but the price BEFORE doors as well as not utilising the full space properly puts me off a bit.

119680924_329194811486499_8942133471214995998_n.png

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to refit an existing built in wardrobe with new interiors and sliding doors?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @snowlaina. It's fantastic to have you join us and many thanks for your questions.

There's nothing to be nervous about, you'll find our members are a friendly bunch of people just looking to help each other.

Congratulations on buying your house! I trust it must be a particularly exciting time with plenty of projects on the agenda.

The Multistore storage solutions would certainly be something to consider. We also offer some budget-friendly options like the Pinnacle 2020 x 2030 x 460mm Black Urban Series Large Wardrobe System and a whole range of other wardrobe storage solutions. The Pinnacle unit would fit perfectly in that space and personally I quite like the aesthetics of it.

You might like to take a look at these previous discussions-

There are a few fantastic D.I.Y articles which you could find beneficial-

Let me also mention a couple of our very talented members @Tara86 and @prettyliving who always have some very creative ideas.

We look forward to seeing what solutions you'll go with for your wardrobe space and would encourage you to ask as many questions as possible. 

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: How to refit an existing built in wardrobe with new interiors and sliding doors?

OMG thankyou so much Mitchell!! I had no idea I could get the sliding doors myself from Bunnings... here I am thinking i'm going to have to pay some wardrobe company hundreds of dollars to come and do the doors. Thats amazing! And I'm loving the videos! Feeling quite inspired here, will certainly post some more of my ideas as I come up with them. Looking forward to seeing what some of the other members have to share as well :smile:

Update - I've ruled out IKEA as an option. Their wardrobes come in either a 35cm depth or a 58cm depth. Given the depth I have to work with is 47cm, the 58cm won't fit and I looked at the 35cm in store and it's WAY too small. 

I think I'm back to MultiStore. Is there an online planner or an easy way to plan the MultiStore wardrobes by any chance?

Thanks!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @snowlaina,

It's great to hear you're moving along with your plans. 

Unfortunately, I am not aware of any planner available for the Multistore wardrobes. I'm not seeing any options to have the forward-facing hangers as in the image above, but three of the Multistore 2000 x 750 x 450mm Storage Unit - Crisp White would fit quite nicely in your space.

If there are any product combinations you would like to use from the Multistore range I would be happy to check to see if they fit your layout and offer options.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects