Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove the water stain on ceiling?

ivanptr
Making a Splash

How to remove the water stain on ceiling?

Hi everyone,

I am living at Southeast Brisbane.  Today I just found there is quite a lot of water stain on ceiling.  I am wondering if it is caused by the recent heavy rains.  Please advise if any spray or paint can be used.

Appreciate any recommendations and advice.water stain on ceilingwater stain on ceilingwater stain on ceilingwater stain on ceiling

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to remove the water stain on ceiling?

Hi @ivanptr,

The first thing to do is ascertain whether there is an active leak in the structure of your roof. If you are not confident going into your roof space, I recommend you employ the services of a professional. Even if there is an active leak, you might not be able to find it. The other day I was in the roof as we had noticed a water stain on the ceiling and droplets of water hanging from the plasterboard sheeting. When I got into the ceiling the top side of that ceiling board was bone dry, a complete mystery. The reason for needing to track the source of the damage is that if we repair it, you might unwittingly conceal any further damage that could affect the roof's structure.

Once you've ensured no ongoing issue, you can thoroughly clean the ceiling sheet with Sugar Soap and then flush it off with fresh water. Wait for the area to dry before applying two coats of Dulux 1L PRECISION Stain & Mould Blocker following the application instructions. Once they have dried, you'll be free to use your choice of ceiling paint to finish the area. The stain blocker stops the watermarks from transferring through your topcoat and re-appearing. 

I trust you'll find this step-by-step guide useful: How to paint a ceiling.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi mitchelle, if we use sugar soap and cannot get rid of the mould, should we use vinegar or something else to kill the those mould first before applying mould blocker?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @ivanptr

Unfortunately, the mould is already inside the panel and there is nothing we can do to remove it from the inside. Using vinegar will only provide a surface clean and eventually, the mould will return. The sugar soap is to prepare the surface for painting, it will not remove the mould that is already there. My colleague recommended using Dulux 1L PRECISION Stain & Mould Blocker to block the mould from coming out.  Once the primer is dry you can then use your choice of ceiling paint.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

As this has been a popular discussion, I would like to let readers know that Eric has produced a step-by-step guide How to remove mould stains from walls.

I trust you will find the advice helpful.

Jason

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects