Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to repair a sliding door?

vica
Having an Impact

How to repair a sliding door?

Hi,Good morning! I still need help from you all. The slide door of my bedroom moves not smoothly even difficulty sometimes. I squirted many times WD-40 to its track which is inside its frame,but not work long lasting. The foot of door is also off-center a bit. May I do sth. to improve it?Thank you!

DD750E14-C725-4414-A6E6-7B218BCFACB4.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: how to repair a slide door

Hi @vica . Many thanks for your question, I'd be happy to assist.

It sounds like there is a track or runner issue and that the door is misaligned. I would advise you to remove the door from the track system and inspect both the top roller assembly and the bottom guide for damage. You can generally do this by opening the door fully, lifting it up and then pulling the whole door towards you. You might notice damage to the rollers or flat spots on them and the guide on the bottom might be misaligned. If there are any damaged parts you will need to replace them and if you take some pictures I can attempt to find the replacement part.

If there are no damaged parts, check to see if the bottom guide is aligned correctly and is screwed securely into the ground. If this guide twists, in operation, it might be binding up with the door stopping motion. If everything else seems fine, apply a small amount of Valvoline 500g Multi-Purpose Grease to the top track with your finger. Please wear gloves whilst doing so as the track might be sharp. Ensure the grease gets onto the top-side of the track where the rollers are hanging on and then you can also apply a small amount to the rollers themselves. You'll find the grease will last much longer than the WD40 does.

If you need further assistance or had questions, please let me know.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: how to repair a slide door

Hi,thank you very much,I will repair it as what you say.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects