Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to repair hole after removing hollow wall anchors?

prvz27
Building a Reputation

How to repair hole after removing hollow wall anchors?

Good morning everyone! 

Hope you're all well. 

Around a year and a half ago I installed this floating desk using L brackets in my bed room:

Floating desk 

Recently the table started wobbling and I noticed the top hollow wall anchor on the left bracket was loosening. This is most likely due to me leaning on the desk and the load of my body weight over time. 

I have now taken off the desk and re-installed with both brackets into studs, which is what I should have done initially for a stronger mounting, my mistake. After removing the desk, I noticed a bulging on the wall where the loose anchor was located, photos attached.

I now want to go ahead and patch the holes and finish with paint. However, just wanted to get some advice on how I could fix that bulging. Will that fix itself with the filler or will it require some other type of treatment?

Will appreciate any advice here, thank you!

20220129_153045.jpg20220129_153041.jpg

Remarka6le
Amassing an Audience

Re: How to repair hole after removing hollow wall anchors?

I've had a few of these, if it's just a small hole I'll sand the area then apply Rapid Patch to it, let it dry, sand it again then paint. Larger or bulging holes I'll cut out the bulge, sand the surrounding area, apply a Wall Patch to it, then Rapid Patch, let it dry, sand then paint. 

:smile: 

Remarka6le
Remarka6le
Amassing an Audience

For reference on what it looks like when done right, this (inside the red square) used to be a gaping hole larger than what you've got but with the same bulge from where various wires came out of my wall (when I wall mounted my PC), I used a Wall Patch on it, took my time, came out looking great.

Patch.png

Remarka6le

Hi @prvz27,

@Remarka6le is spot on there with some excellent advice; you'll need to remove the bulging area. I'd suggest the most effective method would be to use a hole saw that is slightly larger than the bulging area. Cut out a circle and then cover over the hole with a plaster patch and some plaster. If you don't remove the bulge, it will be next to impossible to feather the raised section into the surrounding wall. You'd use a tonne of plaster, and it just wouldn't look right.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects