Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to transform awkwardly spaced room?

Lauren1948
Just Starting Out

How to transform awkwardly spaced room?

image.jpg

image.jpghello!!! I am reaching out to ask for some advice about how I can transform this room. I am in this room all day 7 days a week ( chronic health conditions). It’s my parents home and they are extremely conservative to crazy ideas nor do any of us have handy  skills. I have extensive medical supplies and am in a electric wheelchair. 
It’s a bit of a mess so I’ll start small; 

1. how can the brick wall shelving be used ; and blocked in fireplace 

2. How can the blank wall and corner be used 

image.jpg

Lauren1948
Just Starting Out

Re: how to make use of awkward rooms

P.s I have wanted to put floating shelves on the wall for years but was told I can because there aren’t brackets in the right places

DIYGnome
Building a Reputation

Hello @Lauren1948 welcome to Bunnings Workshop Community, floating shelves only require mounting to the existing homes framework hidden behind the plaster sheeting, once you have located those "studs" (by knocking on the wall listening for a change in sound OR an electronic device) this will determine the length of shelving possible for the chosen area, everything is possible but with varying degrees of difficulty 😊

For additional reference https://www.bunnings.com.au/diy-advice/home-improvement/shelving-and-storage/how-to-install-floating...

Brickwork is pretty permanent, have you considered turning the fireplace into a cabinet OR shelves like those already present higher up the brick fascia?

Ultimately any shelving solution will further encroach on your navigatable living space within that room, scaling up the existing cupboard system will add storage but cost shelving (forgive my crude rendering skills) at no loss of living space.

Screenshot_20231224-154400_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Lauren1948. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about making use of a room.

Could you please tell our helpful members a little more about the modification you'd like to make to the room? I see you'd like to install some additional shelving. Is that all? As @DIYGnome has mentioned, installing floating shelving on a plaster wall is entirely possible, and with the correct fixtures, you don't even need to locate the timber studs. Provided the weight you intend on placing on the shelves isn't incredibly heavy, the shelves can be attached solely to the plasterboard.

I'm keen to assist further. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: How to transform awkwardly spaced room?

Let me also extend a warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, @Lauren1948. We're delighted to have you join us and look forward to seeing and assisting you with your home improvement and garden projects. 

Great to see you've received suggestions from our members on how to transform your room. Just wanted to add that you might also want to check out our article 8 ways to use wasted spaces in your home. It contains creative solutions on how to utilise awkward, wasted areas that might spark some creative ideas on what you can do with your space. 

I can't wait to see how you transform this room. Please do keep us updated as your project progresses.

Akanksha

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to transform awkwardly spaced room?

Hi @Lauren1948,

Hope all is well. 

Just checking in to see if the replies you received were helpful. We're here to help so please let us know if you need further assistance. A sketch showing the dimensions of the room and it's shape might assist members to see what you are working with if you were up for more radical ideas than simply adding shelving. 

Thanks,

Jason

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects