Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Kids room painting and flooring on budget

Peter13
Cultivating a Following

Kids room painting and flooring on budget

DoneDoneThe room had an old carpet and dirty walls. We've decided to go for hybrid flooring and new paint (colours chosen by my daughter).

Additionally to the walls and ceiling, I've also painted window, door and wardrobe frame to white, and inside-side of the door to white as well.

Lessons learnt:

1. Take a photo or write down exactly which colours you have used. This might come handy in the future. Personally, I store the photos in the same folder as the photos that I take during the work.

2. Painting and flooring is really easy - don't be afraid to do it yourself

3. Have a look at 'How To Paint A Room | DIY For Beginners' video on youtube. I've pretty much followed everything the guy said.

4. Don't be afraid to experiment with colours -  you can always repaint if you don't like the result

5. Buy Ryobi Folding Table with Two Clamps ($149 at Bunnings) - this is a great working bench for cutting the flooring, painting doors, etc.

Budget

- material: $760

- Hybrid flooring: $530

- Skirting boards: $44

- Wall paint  (2l light and 2l dark blue): $133

- Wall and ceiling paint (2l white): $41

- Plaster repair panel: $7.50

- White colour for wooden window, wardrobe, and door frame - re-used from previous project

Budget - tools: $250

Removing old carpetRemoving old carpetPainting wooden framesPainting wooden framesPainting the wallsPainting the wallsNew flooringNew flooringNew flooringNew flooringDoneDone

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Kids room painting and flooring on budget

Hi @Peter13,

This is another fantastic project! You have really created a lovely room for your daughter that speaks to her style. Was there any trick to doing the flooring? We have gone ahead and entered this project into the DIY July competition as it fits in the paint category and you have done a great job.

Katie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Peter13
Cultivating a Following

Re: Kids room painting and flooring on budget

Hi Katie, thank you for moving the project to the competition. 

There are two ideas I found very good for the flooring:

1/ No need to try following any regular laying pattern - just cut the first plank roughly in 1/3. Complete the row. and use the initial cut at the end the that row or any of the subsequent rows. Don't start a row with a full plank (out of which you cut out the edge). Ruther make a longer cut that you can than use in other rows. Doing this you end up with almost no waste and the absence of a regular patter has no impact on the final look (in my view).

2/ Use cheater board to to easily measure the width and profile of the final row - I've learnt it in the YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-vIi3SVxeo&t=82s

Peter

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects