Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

LED strip lights won't stay attached to shelf

Dawn1
Getting Established

LED strip lights won't stay attached to shelf

Hi I’ve just brought the lytworx lights and they have a double sided tape on but it won’t stay attached to the shelf of my wall unit I have tried adding Velcro strips but that hasn’t helped I was thinking hot glue but would this affect the lights

5EA47F82-0A62-4442-95D5-697A35E5CC6C.jpeg

8DF3F625-87A9-46C8-A72A-EC702D73F921.jpeg

How do I keep this led lights stick to shelf? 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: LED strip lights won't stay attached to shelf

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Dawn1. It's wonderful that you've joined us, and many thanks for your question about adhering light strips.

Did you clean the surface thoroughly with Diggers 125ml Isopropyl Cleaning Alcohol or some type of cleaning wipes before applying the strip? If the surface is not thoroughly cleaned before installation, this can cause the adhesive strip not to bind adequately. Dust, grime and grease will all inhibit adhesion.

What is the surface made from that you are adhering the lights to? 

Hot glue could potentially work, and I do not believe it will affect the lights. If it does, I'll be happy to facilitate an exchange on them, as you'll just be trying to find a solution to the tape not adhering. 

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Dawn1,

Cleaning the surface that the strip is going to be mounted on is very important as Mitchell advised..

I would suggest that you use Alien tape to stick the strip on..That stuff will stick to anything!!

Dawn1
Getting Established

Thanks I got some gorilla tape and so far so good 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects