Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Living room feature wall aka TV wall

ravit
Growing in Experience

Living room feature wall aka TV wall

Capture1.JPGHello DIY community members,
I am new to this community and having browsed through several inspiring creations by so many talented DIYers. I'm amazed at what can be achieved!
So I have decided to spend some time on bringing some color and feature into our living room TV wall. It is quite boring right now with just a plain wall and TV hung up on it and what we would like to do is make panel feature on the wall through squares or rectangles and then paint it with deep blue or ocean green (yet to be decided) colors to make it pop.
Where I am stuck is as to what type of timber to use and if I can survive with just gluing the timber to the wall or do i need to use a brad nailer. I don't have one and may need to buy one or rent one which seems like an expensive exercise so hoping for simple ideas to make this work and at the same time ensure that the timber does not fall over eventually.

Any or all ideas is most appreciated! Thanks all!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Living room feature wall aka TV wall

Hi @ravit

It really depends on what type of panels you create. Do they have a thickness to them? Or would you just be using something like a 3mm Standard MDF 1220mm x 2440mm? I can't see any reason why you would need a brad nailer. There's plenty of little "pin" nails like Paslode 25 x 1.6mm 100g Bright Steel Bullet Head Nails which you would just tap beneath the surface with a nail punch. You'd then need to fill over the heads with Timbermate 500g White Wood Filler, undercoat and paint the panels whilst on the wall.

You could certainly use Selleys 420g Liquid Nails Fast Grab Strong Adhesive to glue them into place. However, if you ever decide to remove them you might remove parts of the plaster wall also.

Another option I can think of is why not make them hang like picture frames? That way if you ever decide you don't like them or want to move them or want to sell you can just simply remove them from the wall. You might want them at unusual angles and this is still achievable with picture hanging wire and fixings. In fact, you might like to consider making your panels out of picture frames if you can find them cheap enough.

It sounds like a neat project and I can't wait to follow along with the build. Have you got any sketches of what you were thinking to show us?

You might be interested in taking a look at- Feature wall using old palletsWall panelling on TV wallFeature wall and barn door using fence palings and Feature wall for more inspiration.

Let me mention @Tara86 and @prettyliving to see if they would like to share their thoughts on feature walls and coloured panelling.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
ravit
Growing in Experience

hi @MitchellMc 

This is a wonderful start Mitchell - thanks much for prompt guidance!
Recommended products have now ended up in my shopping cart except for the MDF. I might go for a thicker version than 3MM. Would you please suggest if these MDF boards come in a primed style so its one less thing for me to do and can start painting as soon as they are on the wall?

I haven't seen the idea of hanging them like picture frames - while it sounds interesting, it seems to involve hanging them from the roof at various angles to bring out a feel. I might need to google further on this ;).

I'm waiting on decide on a design and color and that should pretty much get us started I think.

I am attaching couple of images of what I am aiming at, whether I can get to it as a first timer - only time will tell! :laugh:Capture1.JPGCapture2.JPG

prettyliving
Amassing an Audience

Hi @ravit 

I’ve glued timber to the wall before with Selleys Hold Up and not had any issues.
I’m not sure if it would rip the plaster up if I decide to remove it but I figured I’d cross that bridge if I get there 🤪 no biggie to patch it up if it does. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@ravit,

Many thanks for the images as they give a good idea of what you are after. I was thinking you were after a more abstract layout. I think this is certainly achievable and just a matter of taking your time and measuring everything correctly. With this sort of moulding pattern, I would certainly suggest glueing and nailing them in place.

I'm not sure if either of the two images you have shown would require the MDF board. They could be achieved with just mouldings glued and fixed to the wall.

That first image can be achieved by making several "picture frames" out of mouldings and glueing them in place. Here are some suggested products which you could use- Porta 65 x 25mm 3.0m Clear Pine Georgian Chair Rail MouldingClear Pine Picture Rail Moulding 65 x 24mm 3.0m PortaClear Pine Panel Mould 30 x 12mm 2.4m PortaPorta 31 x 15mm 2.4m Clear Pine Panel MouldingPorta 65 x 18mm 3.0m Clear Colonial Pine MouldingPorta 23 x 8mm 2.4m Clear Pine Insert MouldingPorta 23 x 18mm 2.4m Clear Pine Insert Moulding and Porta 40 x 18mm 2.4m Clear Pine Panel Mould. I've listed all the suitable moulding as it is a bit hard to isolate the ones with flat backs. The other "picture frame mouldings" have a rebate on the rear for glass and the backing board to fit into.

Your second image is achievable and a mitre saw would come in handy. I'd personally create the exterior frame first. Then I would map out the pattern with a pencil on the wall as a guide. I'd run one set of diagonal timbers across the whole wall and then infill the diagonals in the opposite direction. You'll just need to make sure you are accurate at measuring and cutting the angles. A  Craftright 300mm Digital Angle Finder would be very useful for this project. For the timber, it looks like they have used something similar to Woodhouse 66 x 11mm 5.4m DAR Finger Jointed Primed Pine.

I'm really looking forward to seeing what you can do with this.

Mitchell

ravit
Growing in Experience

@MitchellMc 

This is brilliant!
Thank you for providing the list of products that are very helpful to be able to choose and align to a design.
I'm on it today to define a design and place order for these products. Very excited!
Will keep you posted.

ravit
Growing in Experience

thank you @prettyliving - gives me confidence to progress! :smile:

ravit
Growing in Experience

@MitchellMc @prettyliving 

a month ago from today, you both have provided some guidance to get me started on my feature wall.

After battling through online ordering process and stock issues for the past month, here is where I stand. 

We locked in on a design - a sample sketch attached and we are maybe a quarter way through and awaiting stock at Bunnings to complete the rest.

Please let me know what you think of this and if any suggestions. 

Suggestions for type of color and which color would suit best are also very welcome :smile:Rough SketchRough Sketch

Before commencing projectBefore commencing project

After first stageAfter first stage

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @ravit,

Many thanks for the update. It looks like you are doing a fantastic job there.

There is nothing I can offer advice wise that I don't think you are already covering. I like that you have added the internal mouldings and that is what I would have done. Make sure you go back over with a timber filler and cover those gaps. Creating perfect mitres can be difficult and taking the time to fill the gaps and sand will be worth it. I am sure you were intending to do that anyway.

Colour choice is really in the eye of the beholder and should be decided by taking the whole room into account including furnishings. I will say though that you are creating a feature wall and your colour choice should reflect that. I have seen more feature walls that weren't really featuring anything than I have seen bold designs that I thought were over the top. Really make it yours, either choose are really bold colour or something that pops. Don't be afraid to go a little crazy with it and remember a coverup is only a couple of coats of undercoat away.

We look forward to seeing your project progress and can't wait to see the final results..

Great job.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects