Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Mounting my television and hiding the cables

JenniferB
Finding My Feet

Mounting my television and hiding the cables

MountedTV.jpg

Hi guys,

Just wondering if anyone could help me?

I am wanting to mount my television on my wall, but I dont want any of the cables to show.

How do I go about achieving this neat look in the easiest way possible!?

Re: How can I mount my television and hide the cables?

Hi there....I will just add, I know jcar sells gadgets that can send hdmi wirelessly....and hide it behind the tv...
EarlAJ
Just Starting Out

What type of wall are you mounting the tv on?

Joker
Having an Impact

I would also like some tips on mounting a tv. I'm a little nervous about it given the weight and the consequences of the tv falling off the wall! I've been recommended one of these - http://www.selby.com.au/tv-brackets-stands/tv-brackets-and-mounts/32-to-100-inch.html?bracket_type=9... - so I just need to know how to go about fixing it onto a plaster wall - especially how to find the timber stud!

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

Stud Finder

Mandarin to English translation for the bracket install is better than most try's.

Wood Stud mounting: The Wall Plate(a) must be mounted to two wood studs at least 16"(406mm) apart. Use a stud finder to locate two adjacent studs. It is a good idea to verify where the studs are located with an awl or thin nail shown in Diagram 2B. Predrill a 2.4"(60mm) deep hole at the desired height in each stud using a 5/32"(4mm) drill bit. Make sure these holes are in the center area of the studs and level with each other. Use the Wall Plate as a template to mark the location of the second hole in each stud. Drill 2.4"(60mm) deep holes using the 5/32"(4mm) drill bit in the marked locations. Attach the Wall Plate to the wall using the 4pcs Lag Bolts(u) and 4pcs Lag Bolt Washers(v).

If you have steel studs you will have to supply new screws.

Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

My advice is to save the money that you'd spend on a stud finder.

All you need to do is place the TV mounting template on the wall where you want the TV fitted, to get the height right, then pencil on the wall the mounting hole height/positions. Don't drill any holes, put the template aside, then tap lightly on the wall with your knuckle, & you should clearly be able to hear the different where a stud is, it won't sound hollow or drummy. If you want to be pedantic, mark on the wall either side of where you've sounded out the stud, then tap a thin nail in either side, till it strikes the wood/metal stud, measure between & you'll find the centre of the stud.

Net saving, anywhere between $24.97 & $154 of Bunnie money. :wink:

Hope this helps.

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

@Andy_Mann you will have engineer's crying all over the country...

Won't work on my walls untill I pretty up the sheds.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

I finally got the cables hidden on my television in the games room over the weekend.

TV1.jpg

I had previously mounted the television but needed an electrician to install a powerpoint behind the television. I also needed to run a cable from behind the television to the floor where the television's control box will live inside a cabinet. The antenna and all other devices plug into the control box so it is very neat. Here's the finished result (before clean up and installation of the cabinet...)

TV2.jpg

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects