Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Painting tips for apartment refresh

Pree
Getting Established

Painting tips for apartment refresh

pic 2.jpgpic 3.jpgpic1.jpg

hi I have bought an apartment which is approx 3 years old, its in great condition but the color on the wall are not my preferred. It bit of darkish and I want to change it to white. I have never painted and I do not even know what tools are required for painting and how to start? At this stage, I am planning to paint only the hallway and kitchen/living room all indoors. also there are fewl large concrete pillars on the patio that is painted blue and I want to change that to be off white.  Could you please help me what tools are required and step by step guide to paint inside and outside pillars and what type of colors do I need?  Also on the kitchen benchtop/ island, I want to have same color laminate bench on the sides of island, any idea  where I can buy that and how much does it cost to get it installed. All suggestions are much appreciated.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Painting Tips

Welcome to Workshop @Pree and congratulations on your recent purchase. We're pleased you could join us and trust you will receive lots of helpful advice and inspiration for your home improvement projects. Feel free to post whenever you need a hand. 

Painting is one of the easiest D.I.Y. tasks, yet can have a dramatic impact on the home. I would recommend you start here - the Bunnings how to paint series. It is very easy to follow and should help build your confidence. This previous Workshop discussion should also be a big help - Your best painting tips

I will now hand over to the Workshop community to add their thoughts and advice...

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Isobel
Amassing an Audience

@Pree,

Painting is really simple. I'm sure you won't have any trouble. 

First thing to do is to choose a colour. There are a lot of different shades of white! It sounds like you might like a warm white. This article might be helpful - https://www.homebeautiful.com.au/how-to-choose-the-right-white-paint-for-a-room

When it comes to paint, you obviously need a quality interior paint for inside - go for a good name like Taubmans or Dulux. 

As your apartment is very new, I think your preparation is going to be minimal. Unless there are any cracks or dints that you have to repair, the only prep you probably need to do is a simple wipe down to get rid of any dirt and dust. Then you'll just need two coats of your new paint and you'll be done. 

For equipment, you'll just need a good quality roller, a tray, and a brush for cutting in. Happy to help with recommendations if you need them, but again it's worth paying for a quality brush and roller as you will ensure you get a great result. 

You'll also need some old sheets or something to protect your floor. 

For the pillars outside, you'd need to tell us what they are made of so we could recommend the right paint. Are they steel? Timber? 

I'm not quite sure what you want to do to the kitchen island bench. It already looks lovely to me. I don't think I would recommend changing it.

Pree
Getting Established

Thanks @Isobel for great tips. With the kitchen i wanted to cover the sides of the island bench with same bench top used on the top. I actually want to change whole kitchen benchtop with marbel finish or bit of white color not brown but i was told that it will cost me few thousands so i decided to get same color benchtop to place it in either sides to make it a bit nicer look. Also i am planning to get some pendent hanging on the top of island :smile:  The pillars outside are concrete. Thanks so much 

Pree
Getting Established

Thanks @Jason for advice. Could you please tell me how many days it will take to paint the living and dining area if its to be painted only by one person which is me :smile:

Isobel
Amassing an Audience

@Pree

I believe what you are proposing with the island bench is typically called a waterfall kitchen benchtop. Stone is very expensive so yeah, it will cost a lot to change. Personally, I don't think it is worth it. It looks good currently!

Ask at Bunnings in the paint shop what would be the best exterior paint to use on those concrete pillars. Your internal paint job should be easily done in a weekend - one day for each coat. It's the cutting in that takes the most time. Using a roller is very quick and easy.

Pree
Getting Established

@Isobel yes that what i am after a waterfall kitch benchtop. im actually happy to get laminated one but even if its just lamination, it will cost me few grants so i decided to get just sides done. it doesnt look bad but i never liked a brown benchtop so thought if i do waterfall design, i might dislike it little less :smile: @jason if you could send me the product and tools links from bunnings would be  great, i saw on the videos that brushes should be nice to have a good finish. @Isobel @Jason do you have any special brush rollars and paint primer and color, wash soap and wiper that you could recommend? thank you.

Isobel
Amassing an Audience

Fair enough @Pree, colour is always a very personal preference. 

I tend to use Monarch brushes and rollers but I’m sure you can’t go wrong with any quality brand. I don’t tend to use wash soap and wipes. I just give a light sand before painting, and use old rags and drop sheets (literally old sheets and towels) for spills, clean up etc. 

Pree
Getting Established

@Isobelafter sanding do i have to dust it off, also a firnd of mine recommended, i might not need a primer just one dulax coat might work, what do think of that? thank you

Pree
Getting Established

@Jasonhow much do you think i need to spent on the waterfall bench, I only need to get the laminate sides of same color and do i have to pay for installation and how much do you think it will cost? Also, could you please recommend roofing for outside patio. I was thiking of getting a transparent roofing on the outside patio on the top of those wooded roof but a friend of mine told me it will look dirty if i have transparent one, could you please recommned one to go over my wooden roof. Thank so  much.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects