Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Removing a mantelpiece

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

Removing a mantelpiece

Google has failed me on how this was fixed on. I want to keep the tiles for sentimental reasons and replace the top with Tas Oak to match how the furniture will be. I could take off the quarter round to see if there is a clue to how it is fixed on. Wallpaper will be going as well.Wallpaper will be going as well.

Has cupped as one of it’s sins.Has cupped as one of it’s sins.

Mathy
Becoming a Leader

Re: Removing a mantle piece.

Hey @Brad - in the first picture, those are not bolts - they are a form of “nail”, with some sort of rough cut “washer” underneath. Are those fixed into the TOP of the mantle piece? I think you said the work dated back to 1955 (Grandad), but this is not a new build at that time, this looks like an older home that was modified in the 1950s.

Can you attempt to orientate the above images with respect to those in the first set of photos? It’s really hard to work out what is what in these. It looks like the tiles have formed a mould for the concrete, possible that an old, brick open fireplace has been enclosed? I remember you said this backs onto a room with a wood oven and chimney. It’s quite possible that this is the fireplace on the other side - rooms usually have back to back fireplaces that use the same chimney.

This is fascinating, although I can understand your frustration,, cheers Deb

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

Definitely bolts looks like carriage bolts that had the heads ground down to fit a spanner. 

Including a pic of the offending combustion heater. 

Was a greenfield site when my parents got a war service loan to build. Grandfather worked for the builder. 48381FDC-40EC-4292-BA98-0A8FB60A1EF9.jpeg

08AE95B9-334F-41D0-B1E8-8FFF9CF3BB08.jpeg

Mathy
Becoming a Leader

WOW, don’t those bolts look a whole lot different in close-up. In the original photo they looked like nails for horseshoes. I’d get the angle grinder out and cut them off, see if the mantle piece will lift off from them - it looks like they’re the only fixings :smile:

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects