Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Sliding barn door

Jwyatt
Growing in Experience

Sliding barn door

Recently completed a sliding barn door.  This was needed to shield our living room from the harsh Afternoon sun, beaming in through western facing windows.  The door also helps to partition the living area from the front stairs and helps the air conditioners run more efficiently. 
This project was completed using 7 pine lining boards and lengths of 89x19mm and 140 x 19mm dressed pine.

The  door track kit is a rolltrak barn door system.  
A dressed pine headboard was used to secure the door track to the studs in the wall as the pre drilled holes in the track did not quite line up with the studs when the track was in position. 

A9E0D263-DBDF-44C3-B841-794C34C0D6F0.jpeg

4DB6F370-CAB9-495A-88DF-0D39F87F44F3.jpeg

4FF0A4AF-A47B-4126-AB82-9A9CB10D0E68.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Sliding barn door

Welcome to the bunnings Workshop community @Jwyatt. It's fantastic to have you join us and many thanks for sharing your project.

Barndoors are particularly popular within the community and this is a fantastic example of what our members could build themselves. You didn't happen to take any pictures in the construction phase, did you?

Congratulations on creating a very fine example of a barn door that encompasses the style exactly. I trust your project will be of great inspiration to our members.

Well done

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jwyatt
Growing in Experience

Hi Mitchell, 

unfortunately I didn’t get any progress pics.  May think about that next time. 

woodenwookie
Making a Splash

I like how the pine used for the rail looks like it’s part of the whole setup and not something that was done to fix a problem.

I’m gonna use this design.

Where did you get the rail kit?

@woodenwookie,

I'm not sure if it is the same one, but we have a Hume 2050 x 40 x 5mm Black Internal Frontier Barn Door Track which looks very similar.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Not available in New Zealand apparently. I did find these:

https://www.bunnings.co.nz/lockwood-2m-outland-barn-door-kit_p3980052

Lockwood are well known here

LePallet
Amassing an Audience

@Jwyatt 

Great work 

how much clearance do you have from the wall the to inside or the door? Will it clear a switch on the wall which is 40mm thick ?

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects