Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Soundproofing for a rental?

itsangus
Getting Established

Soundproofing for a rental?

Hi All,

I'm moving into a sharehouse and I'm worried my portable aircon is going to be unbearably loud for my flatmates. I don't share a wall with anyone but there is another room across the hall. Is there any way I can dampen the noise of the portable aircon for people outside the room?

Cheers!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Soundproofing for a rental?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @itsangus. It's fantastic to have you join us and many thanks for your question.

Sound can transfer through structures and the air. Vibrations are the form in which sound transfers and reducing them will minimise the noise. Initially, I would start with trying to isolate the machine itself from vibrating through the floor. Placing anti-vibration pads underneath it will help. You can try to stop the sound transferring through the air by hanging a thick woollen curtain or blanket over your door frame.

You might be interested in reading through this previous discussion: How to sound proof a bedroom? by @gc.

I would start by trying these options and seeing what the effect is. Perhaps you could limit the times of usage if it is still too loud.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects