Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Squeaky floorboards under carpet

jowens
Getting Established

Squeaky floorboards under carpet

carpet1.jpg

I have squeaky floor boards in the living room and in the bedrooms.

The living room is not carpeted but the bedrooms are.

I was going to remove the carpet to have a look but might cause the carpet to go loose its original place.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Re: Squeaky floorboards under carpet

Hi, I can't open the link pointed to by the 'view solution in original post' link that was posted in response to the squeaky floorboards post of Nov 2019. The link keeps looping back to 'Solved! See most useful Response' link.  Can someone post the actual link to the solution posted?  Or post a link to a solution they used that worked.  I have squeaky floor boards in two rooms, one is carpeted the other isn't.

Does Bunnings have this product now? Or similiar product now? 

StevieB
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @The-Rock

Sorry that you had trouble viewing the post marked as most helpful in this discussion. Could you please let me know which device and browser you are using so that we can look into this? I can see that the most helpful response here was by @folubode.

Our resident D.I.Y. expert @MitchellMc will be more than happy to help when he's back on the site on Friday. Let me also tag @redracer01 to see if he has any suggestions to share.

It's fantastic to have you join us, and I trust that you'll find plenty of inspiration and support for your projects through Bunnings Workshop. Please don't hesitate to hit the Start a discussion button anytime you have something to share or need a hand. 

Stevie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Stevie,

I was using the Firefox browser (latest version) on a PC (not apple) with Windows10 (latest version).

Hope that helps you.

Re,

Allan

StevieB
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Thanks, Allan @The-Rock.

Hello @The-Rock 

Welcome to Bunnings Workshop! I have not seen this particular tool at Bunnings, however there were several suggestions on how to sort the issue out. One of the first suggestions was talcum powder over the area where the squeak is originating from, removing the carpet and placing dry wall screws to the offending areas. I have seen how the Squeek tool works and if you are doing a large area I see no reason for it not to work. But if it is only in one particular area then perhaps it is worth lifting the carpet before investing in the tool. Please remember that re-laying the carpet will mean that you will have to purchase a re-laying tool unless you have a mate who has such a tool. Once you lift the carpet the tension on it will dissipate and will make the carpet move around. The only way to re hook it back on is to use the carpet tool. If you have access from the bottom you could screw the panel from the bottom just making sure not to go past the top part of the floor. You could spray WD40 from the bottom at the squeaky area but that is only a temporary repair as the WD40 will in time dissipate. These are some of the ways you can fix your squeaky floor and for sure there are more out there you just need to see which one will serve you best. Please keep us updated on how you solved it so that other members in the community who are having the same issue will know what to do.

Cheers,

Red 

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi Allan (@The-Rock),

It's great to see @redracer01 has provided some tips which could work.

Are you able to access under the floorboards at all? If your house is on piers, it would be reasonably easy to pack out a squeaky floorboard from beneath.

Mitchell

age014
Just Starting Out

This is only a temporary solution and will reoccur the same as using wd40 to fill the gaps. Get a floor board repair kit and if u can’t find studs by knocking purchase  a stud finder. Do it right keep it tight👍

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for joining in the discussion @age014 and sharing your knowledge. It sounds like you have plenty of experience you can share with other members. We are looking forward to reading more of your posts soon.

Please don't hesitate to post anytime you have something to share with the community or need a hand with a project around the house and garden.

Welcome,

Jason

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects