Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Treating wall and skirting following a water leak

karenw
Getting Established

Treating wall and skirting following a water leak

Hi there - I'm a DIY novice looking for some pointers. I recently had a leak from my bathroom, which leaked into the cement wall :-((( The leak has been fixed but clearly a lot of water got into the adjoining bedroom wall/skirting as I've been drying it out for more than 6 months and there is still evidence of moisture. I've removed bubbling paint from the wall, and replastered (the render was quite rough) and then applied a sealing paint. This has mostly worked but there are still patches where the paint is continuing to bubble up and I keep sanding it back. The skirting was ruined and has recently been replaced. The carpenter who installed them told me to use 'bathroom ceiling paint' to help treat/preserve the new timber skirtings. I'm not really sure which product to buy? Is this an acrylic based paint? I'm wondering if I go this route can I use the same paint to seal the wall too, before applying my top coat. Just trying to understand which paints to buy to try and get my skirtings and wall back to how they were - ie no signs of water damage, and hopefully waterproofed, in case further moisture is still in the wall. I need to get the property/room to a high enough standard to rent out, as we are likely going to have to move for work. Long story but keen on direction to get the best result without wasting money on the wrong products. Thanks in Advance!121815527_376370910390008_8814458251233646194_n.jpg

karenw
Getting Established

Re: Treating wall and skirting following a water leak

Brilliant definitely received this time!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects