Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What to use for relining walls?

gizzygal
Getting Established

What to use for relining walls?

A couple of weeks ago I found that there's still a patch of scrim inside my wardrobe. Most of the house was relined some years ago, but apparently they skipped the wardrobe (it's a circa 50s addition built onto the wall of this 1910 house). Also the only place in the house with the original skirtings so I really should have guessed this!

Neither my insurance nor I are particularly excited about having a fire hazard in the house, so I'm most of the way through removing the scrim, and thinking about what to put in its place. Specifically, getting lost at what options are designed for what!

It's a fairly small area (3m high by 1.5 wide) and it's in the wardrobe so going to be behind clothes most of the time, doesn't need to be perfect. What products would you recommend as a reasonably manageable wall lining material?

(Photo of the sarking that's in place that will be underlying this lining)

IMG_20210316_180128.jpg

JaneK
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: What to use for relining walls?

What an interesting question @gizzygal. Let me tag @redracer01 and @MitchellMc who should be able to help.

Jane

Found the answer you needed? Mark it as Most Helpful
redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Hello @gizzygal 

If this wall is an interior wall and not exposed to the outside then some standard gib plasterboard panels should cover it nicely. Some basic plastering to seal the joins, then use paint primer, sealer, blocker paint then final coat of your choice of paint. 

Red

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @gizzygal,

It's great to see you've already received a helpful reply from the knowledgeable @redracer01. You should find these step-by-step guides useful: How To Build A Stud Wall and How To Plasterboard A Stud Wall. You'll also find this @Peggers article on how to paint like a professional of assistance.

Alternatively, now that you have removed the jute and fire hazard, would it look too out of place to just paint the timber? You could fill the gaps between the timber with a timber filler, sand the wall and paint over. Another option might be to use a thin sheet of IBuilt 2440 x 1220 x 3mm Customwood Thinboard over the timber covering it. Timber mouldings could then be used to cover the edges where it transitions into the other walls.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks guys! I did think about leaving the timber as is, but the gaps between are 7-8mm in places and I'm not confident I can make that look good with timber filler - new to all this. I'm gonna go for plasterboard, but have had some more pressing matters come up so it might be a couple of weeks - good thing we get 2 long weekends in April!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects