Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Why is the paint completely peeling off the plaster?

SensibleHill
Building a Reputation

Why is the paint completely peeling off the plaster?

31F56E56-68D3-4C9A-971B-DF56676CBF30.jpeg

Hello! Another post from my whole-house renovation! While removing an old built in robe, some paint peeled and I found I could peel all paint from the entire room, leaving only plaster.

I’m assuming this might be due to the walls never having been primed or possibly a latex or similar paint in the 80s (it feels rubbery). This paint only appears to be like this in the bedroom. Is there any other cause, and is it something to be worried about - or can I rejoice in having a nice plaster base to work from?! 

many thanks,

55C39071-8E64-4DC3-90EB-A5DE5397F473.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Why is ny paint completely peeling off the plaster?

Hi @LivMitch,

For smaller repairs, Dulux 1Step Prep Primer, Sealer & Undercoat 1 is fine to use, I've confirmed this with Dulux technical team. You mentioned above that "The plasterer applied plaster to long, fine cracks in these walls – patches are approx 1m square each.". If just the cracks were filled then the 1 Step is appropriate. However, if the repaired section is a large one-metre squared area, then the sealer binder should be used. You might like to post some pictures of the repair, so I can see what you are working with. Let me know if you need assistance uploading an image.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
LivMitch
Cultivating a Following

OK Mitchell I'll get some photos now. Hang on a sec or six! Thank you for your patience and effort :smile:

LivMitch
Cultivating a Following

washed off undercoat. plaster drying.washed off undercoat. plaster drying.20230331_142545.jpg20230331_142203.jpgconnector room 2connector room 2bathroom 1bathroom 1bathroom 2bathroom 2bathroom 3 - darker area bigger than 1 sq mbathroom 3 - darker area bigger than 1 sq mspare 1 - see darker area left sidespare 1 - see darker area left sidespare 2 - slightly darker above door to right  0.5 sq mspare 2 - slightly darker above door to right 0.5 sq mspare 3spare 3spare 4spare 4spare 5 most of lower part and 2 x 1 sq m patches either side of windowspare 5 most of lower part and 2 x 1 sq m patches either side of window

LivMitch
Cultivating a Following

IS THERE ANY CHANCE you are able to resolve this today? Tomorrow is my only day to prep before the big Easter paint job.

Photos hard to take (poor phone cam and lighting conditions). Hope these suffice. 

The cracks were fine cracks, however the plasterer chose to cover a large area around them.

Sometimes the wall was bumpy and gouged, from a bad 'bog' repair previously.

One spare room crack was fine (you couldn't fit a knife blade into it) but long, three-quarters the length of the wall and up toward ceiling, for example.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @LivMitch 

Thanks for posting those photos of the wall repairs. Just to be on the safe side, I suggest using the Dulux PRECISION Sealer Binder White on those repaired areas. You can clearly see that the plasterer did a thorough repair job as they covered the entire wall and not just the cracks.

I'm sure @MitchellMc will chime in if he has more information to add.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

LivMitch
Cultivating a Following

Hi Eric,

Thanks for getting back to me. I'll go the oil-based Sealer Binder.  Was trying to avoid the sickening smell.

1 or two coats Eric? 

Thank you both for your help. 

Liv

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

There's no requirement to do two coats @SensibleHill. You just need to apply enough for complete coverage. You might get away with one thick coat.

Mitchell  

LivMitch
Cultivating a Following

Great! Thanks Mitchell. Have a good one.

LivMitch
Cultivating a Following

Hello there,

My ceilings are previously painted. I've sugar soaped them. No flaking paint.

1) Do I need to undercoat them?

2) Can I use Dulux Ultra Air Primer as an undercoat? 

3) Or do I just do 2 coats of Dulux Ultra Air Ceiling Whitex?

Thanks so much again.

(PS: Mitchell/Eric - the Precision Sealer Binder has been applied and looks good - thanks for your advice)

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

It's great to hear the Precision Sealer Binder worked well @LivMitch!

The general rule for ceilings or walls is that if the paint is in good condition and you've given the surface a clean with sugar soap (remember to wipe the wall down with fresh water after), then you can apply your topcoat paint straight over it without priming. Given those prerequisites are fulfilled, you can just do 2 coats of Dulux Ultra Air Ceiling Whitex.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects