Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Window -> Sliding Door - Whatya think?

Itai
Becoming a Leader

Window -> Sliding Door - Whatya think?

Hey All.

We're looking to convert this window into a sliding door.

We've already got the quotes to do so. But we're just thinking, what would be better, opening on the left or opening on the right?

If the opening on the left, then it potentially feels more fluid because as you can see, we have a big kitchen island, and you could walk straight past the island to go outside. The only downside is that we lose the use of that corner space, not that we can think of what would go there? 

Alternatively, we put the opening on the right, and we can use the corner space for something (if we even do end up using that corner space), but then walking outside is not fluid and you end up having to walk diagonally from the path between the island and left and wall. 

Also, if we do put the door on the left, we could just move the pot plant to the right, or put something else there ... a mini benchtop for our daughter perhaps :cheeky:

What do you think?

Also, should we use black frame or white frame? We're thinking black frame as we have black fittings all over the show and the current windows are all a dark reddish brown.

Screen Shot 2020-11-17 at 1.41.11 pm.png

Lastly, the quotes we received are supply and install of single laminate 6.4mm glass.

Bunnings sells this Double Glazed door which looks good, but I'm not sure who would install it. The installers who quoted said they only install their own products.

Thanks

Regards

Itai

TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Window -> Sliding Door - Whatya think?

In this case, I would be sliding the door away from the bench top into the corner, so you can take items in and out easily without having to walk around the fixed pane... which would become a pain after a while.

Itai
Becoming a Leader

Re: Window -> Sliding Door - Whatya think?

Thanks TedBear ... that's a good point. Thought we're lucky because we have a nice huge (also 1.8m) sliding window above the sink, which I will be attaching a flat wooden panel to, to make a serving window ... so I imagine food and dirty dishes to be coming through there :smile:

Would love to change this to a gas lift window / bi-fold window ... but that is very low down on the list of changes to be made :cheeky:

Think standing bar type vibe from the deck side.

Regards

Itai

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects