Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Window -> Sliding Door - Whatya think?

Itai
Becoming a Leader

Window -> Sliding Door - Whatya think?

Hey All.

We're looking to convert this window into a sliding door.

We've already got the quotes to do so. But we're just thinking, what would be better, opening on the left or opening on the right?

If the opening on the left, then it potentially feels more fluid because as you can see, we have a big kitchen island, and you could walk straight past the island to go outside. The only downside is that we lose the use of that corner space, not that we can think of what would go there? 

Alternatively, we put the opening on the right, and we can use the corner space for something (if we even do end up using that corner space), but then walking outside is not fluid and you end up having to walk diagonally from the path between the island and left and wall. 

Also, if we do put the door on the left, we could just move the pot plant to the right, or put something else there ... a mini benchtop for our daughter perhaps :cheeky:

What do you think?

Also, should we use black frame or white frame? We're thinking black frame as we have black fittings all over the show and the current windows are all a dark reddish brown.

Screen Shot 2020-11-17 at 1.41.11 pm.png

Lastly, the quotes we received are supply and install of single laminate 6.4mm glass.

Bunnings sells this Double Glazed door which looks good, but I'm not sure who would install it. The installers who quoted said they only install their own products.

Thanks

Regards

Itai

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Window -> Sliding Door - Whatya think?

Hi @Itai,

Can I ask what the current access to outside looks like and are you planning on doing anything special outside this new access?

The reason I'm asking is if this is going to be the main access then I would suggest considering Hume timber alfresco folding doors. They would complement the aesthetics of this area and if you ever built a deck outside then they would be well worth the investment. They'd also solve your access dilemma as they fold back flush with the frame. By opening this space with full-width folding doors you are connecting the outside with indoors. With the addition of a deck, you would be creating a lovely alfresco dining area.

If you are to go with a sliding door my opinion is that the opening would be best on the left as I believe it represents a better flow.

Unfortunately, our door installation service online extends to single hinged doors. You might like to consider sites like Hipages or Airtasker in order to find someone that will install a door of your choice. 

Let me mention a few of our helpful members @Brad, @redracer01, @ProjectPete and @prettyliving to see if they would like to provide some thoughts on your project.

We look forward to hearing about what decision you make.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hey @MitchellMc 

Thanks for the above info and image. I totally agree that folding doors would be the best, unfortunately as far as I can tell, they'll be way out of my price range.

The quotes I received for aluminium doors, the bi-fold option was 3 times the price of the sliding option, and that was only just in budget.

The only one I can see on your site is https://www.bunnings.com.au/hume-2154-x-5003-x-160mm-alfresco-joinery-multi-fold-clear-glass-externa... which is for 5m wide spaces.

Do you have a price on what this would be in 1800w (if if that's even possible as a size). Height is perfect.

Thanks

Itai

@MitchellMc To answer your other questions, I'm intending to building a deck out the back. But you will step down onto it as if I make it the same height, you will be very close to the eve (which would be at 2150 or so)

I've been reading all your advice on the various threads about building the deck, and I will start my thread soon enough to get some advice :smile:

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@Itai,

They are certainly a premium product and do attract a price tag to suit. That being said it is an investment in your property and would likely return its value at a later date.

The two-door variant which composes of two 820mm wide doors on a 1713 frame is a special order item. We'll need to contact the supplier to find out a price for you. If you're happy for me to do so I'll go ahead and place an enquiry with one of our stores and get back to you when I receive pricing. I'll reach out via private message for the details of your closest store. That way if you do decide to go with this option we know the pricing will be correct for your location.

Mitchell

Hey @MitchellMc 

No, that's ok. I think either way it's going to be out of budget, as there's a few things we want to do in our outdoors space. 

Regards

Itai

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Itai,

I received the quote back from Hume for the timber alfresco two-door set. All up that would be $2393. This might not be within your budget but there are possibly other members that are interested in hearing what the cost would be.

Mitchell

Hey @MitchellMc

Thanks for grabbing that price. Much better than I thought, though still at the top end of my budget even without installation.

I've gone ahead in this case with the sliding door ... I think we're happy with that anyway due to the layout of our space. 

Thanks

Regards

Itai

TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

Have you considered folding doors, which would open the whole space up,  instead of just half of it? Best stacked into the left (wall) side, in your situation, as they'd stack against the bench otherwise. Depends on what you are opening it up for.  Double glazing won't do a lot... unless you do other windows and doors too. If heat entry is an issue at that place, shade over the area will be a better investment. (Nothing against double glazing; I've just had 4 windows done.)

[Just noticed that Mitchell has suggested the same thing, so I guess I'm seconding his suggestion.]

Itai
Becoming a Leader

Hi TedBear. Yeah, folding doors were the first thing I looked at. Unfortunately they're just too costly. Would've been lovely though! 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects