Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Yarn box

bullfrogchamps
Building a Reputation

Yarn box

IMG_20220730_142117.jpgIMG_20220730_142136.jpgIMG_20220730_142210.jpgIMG_20220730_142216.jpg

I made this yarn box out of walnut and maple, for a birthday present.

The first step was to resaw the stock material, to allow uninterrupted grain to run all the way around the box. Once that was done, I created the below template, which I printed out and temporarily glued to the material to show me where to cut:

yarn box template.png

I drilled a hole to be the center of the spiral, then using a scrollsaw, cut the spiral out, up to the line between box top and bottom. I probably would have used a coping saw if I didn't have access to a scrollsaw.

With that done, I cut mitres for the 4 corners, grooves for the bottom panel and an inset shape for the top piece, with the decorative maple. I glued the whole box into a cube, then glued on the top maple trim, then sanded everything flush.

From there, I had to cut the cube into the top and bottom - I used a table saw to cut most of the way through the walls, then a Japanese handsaw to cut the last small part. Again, I used a sander to get the surfaces flush.

Once the box was separated, I added the mitre splines. I make a quick jig to cut the splines in the box, but I'm not happy with it so I won't share it here until I improve it. After cutting the splines, I cut thin strips of the maple, cut them into oversized triangles and glued them into place.

After the glue dried, I used the Japanese saw to trim the oversized triangles, then again sanded back to flush.

With that, the main construction was finished! I sanded everything to 220 grit, including extra sanding to give the chamfer effect where the box opens, applied boiled linseed oil and then paste wax as a finish, and attached the hinges and clasps!

All that's left now is to give to the lucky recipient!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Yarn box

Lovely work, @bullfrogchamps! Your attention to detail is impeccable, and I trust the recipient was thrilled with your efforts. This is such a superb example of timber craftpersonship. The added spline detail in the corners is my favourite part, but the whole box is just delightful.

Many thanks for sharing.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects