Workshop
Ask a question

Would you build a granny flat in your backyard?

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Would you build a granny flat in your backyard?

I was interested to read an article this morning on "granny pods". These low-cost prefabricated "medical cottages" have the look and feel of a small home but are equipped with useful additions like smart devices, a lift and pressurised ventilation. 

GrannyPod.jpg

Many people hate the thought of loved ones having to live in aged care facilities, but would find it difficult to have them live under the same roof. A granny flat has long been a great compromise, and might have something of a resurgence now that the push is on towards higher density living. 

Would you ever consider building a granny flat in your backyard?

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Kermit
Amassing an Audience

Re: Would you build a granny flat in your backyard?

I certainly don't want to ever live in a nursing home. The design below looks pretty sterile and I'm still shaking my head at the idea of a "virtual companion" but absolutely anything would be better than a nursing home. Make sure you look after your kids well everyone because one day they might be looking after you!

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

We have a new poll up on the site on this topic. You can add your vote on the front page. 

We built a games room in our backyard which could easily be a granny flat. We are assuming our teenage boys would like to live out there in the future. We thought it would also be handy in case one of our parents needed accommodation at some stage, too. 

Jason 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

The Workshop community is evenly split on whether they would build a granny flat in their backyard. 

Here's the results of the poll.

GrannyFlatPoll.png

Thanks to all members who voted. Feel free to keep the discussion going by replying below. 

Jason

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects