Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

APRIL Lockdown meant- hit the gardens & produce or boredom will reign

VegaNano
Growing in Experience

APRIL Lockdown meant- hit the gardens & produce or boredom will reign

IMG_20210129_113807.jpg

Lots of mature produce CHILLIES,BASILS,PARSLEYS,TUMERIC,GINGER,CAPSAICUM,SHALLOTS.

IMG_20210129_114021.jpg

20210129_114138-COLLAGE.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: APRIL Lockdown meant- hit the gardens & produce or boredom will reign

It's great to see you've been out in the garden @VegaNano. Those chillies look fantastic.

Any tips or tricks which have ensured your success? I'm sure our members would appreciate your knowledge.

Many thanks for sharing your results.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
VegaNano
Growing in Experience

Grow in a pot garden sheltered till late spring.Plant in ground over spring & summer.A few gobfuls of quality potting mix around each plant base.It helps their health during the summer heat & absorb water better.

Such a good tip. 

How did you manager with planting veggies  in ground during the hot summer? How do you keep them alive. 

I had giving up planting any veggie during summer.. so much work and the veggies ends up dying:(.  

TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

As a "black thumbed" gardener, this post has me curious. What does a sheltered pot garden look like please?  I still have dreams of getting some use out of our raised garden beds, but don't  have the skills. 

VegaNano
Growing in Experience

FNQld Tablelands..We get fierce,cold,rainy winds here- I shelter pots amongst building walls & shrubs to stop the effect😁

VegaNano
Growing in Experience

By- putting a big heap of NEW COMPOST/ SOIL at plant based & water in.This gives plants a BOOSTER over summer,to cope with summer cruelties,strengthens,& helps water absorption better.Works every summer from OCT/ NOV to MARCH..Maybe 2 extras during this 5 months😂

VegaNano
Growing in Experience

I'd plant before summer heat/ never full sun,wait for overcast days,& in evenings..A tree branches bent over seedlings or rag shade for 2+ weeks will protect from -" transplant shock-" I'd get seedlings matured in a pot for a few mths,then plant out Oct..Shock is minimal with a older plant,they more mature..NEVER on a hot day😂

TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

Thanks. I will consider making a pot stand that can be shaded and sheltered. There are some ideas for that here on the Workshop. Maybe I'll get to be gardener yet.

VegaNano
Growing in Experience

If wants to do a Vertical stand on the cheap-- Pine Pallets can hold several pots,standing up.Ive used cut milk containers in them- the back side & put 3 pallets along a warm but sheltered wall for winter.Holds about 30 plants😁

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects