Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Adirondack chair

Willouw
Finding My Feet

Adirondack chair

Hello folks, I would really love to make my own Adirondack/Cape cod chair before summer arrives. Had a look online for plans and there are several available. Unfortunately no one chair is exactly the same size. Which is not a bad thing in itself, it’s just that measurements can vary considerably and are mostly in imperial. Has anyone maybe got/know of a tried and tested plan\template you can either recommend or share please. Thanks,

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Adirondack chair

thesprucecrafts free adirondack chair plans 

2 and 16 for me with 8 as a third choice.

While most of the world has gone metric 90% of the plans for woodworking come from the USA which hasn't.

For me the classic design is the fan shaped back with rounded top.

Timber sizes and types of wood are not going to match most of what we can get here.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Willouw. It's terrific to have you join us and many thanks for your question.

It's great to see you have already received a helpful reply from @Brad.

Interestingly enough you'll find not all but many of our timber sizes match up with imperial measurements. The lengths of timber available generally fall on foot increments, our framing timber sizes are based off inch measurements and panel products also fall on foot increments. I believe that is due to a legacy issue, the spacing used in creating a stud wall and that it's easy to divide imperial measurements which is useful in construction. I found learning imperial useful in assisting customers in-store. I quite often needed to assist older customers who weren't able to work in metric. 

For me, the ideal style for an Adirondack is pictured below. However, I highly suspect my impression of what they should look like is influenced by having to walk past them several times a day in-store for the past decade.

Let me mention a few of our other keen woodworkers @Poppop, @WoodenGregsWood, @woodenwookie,@woodalwaysworks and @r23on who might like to join the conversation.

We can't wait to follow along with your project and we'd encourage you to let us know if you need assistance or would like to share it with the community.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
r23on
Amassing an Audience

Have you checked this site out.

https://www.blackanddecker.com/ideas-and-inspiration/projects/diy-adirondack-chair 

As for conversion from imperial to metric that's easy enough either use the net or do your own 1in = 25.4mm  34in > 34 * 25.4 = 863.6 round up 864mm

Willouw
Finding My Feet

Thanks @Brad @MitchellMc @r23on for your prompt responses. I had a look at thespruce and agree with you Brad on 2, 8 and 16. I also fancy 11. The chair I want to make must be rounded at the front.  l’m going to download one of these plans and convert to metric before paying a visit to my local Bunnings to have a look at the timber available. Cheers,

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects