Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Advice for drain in side gate driveway

duza11
Finding My Feet

Advice for drain in side gate driveway

Hi,

I’m at the point of adding a driveway to the side gates of my house. The plan is to use treated pine as the edging and lay weed matting down. Then fill the area with pebbles and compact it right down with a compactor. However, there is a council drain where my driveway would be. I am after any ideas on what to do with the drain. 

Can I still fill the area and just cover the drain with the pebbles? Will that still allow water to run through to the drain? 

Or is there something out there where I can place over the drain? 

Or any other ideas or suggestions?

Thanks

3135CB07-4A5F-4A48-BF75-433B9D32663A.jpeg

CB769EA0-95C3-4498-AF14-464455EC3CE9.jpeg

Adam_W
Workshop Legend

Re: Advice for drain in side gate driveway

Hi @duza11 @ welcome,
Okay, by 'council' do you mean as in local government council or are you in strata?
It's quite small to be connected to any major stormwater plumbing so it may actually jut be more of a pressure vent than a fully functioning drain. Vents can be added to stormwater to stop a pressure bubble developing in the piping during heavy rain.
Regardless you don't want to & should not cover it.
I'd do a bit of excavating around the sides of it to see how it is connected to it's riser pipe. That type of end fitting is often just sitting on the pipe, not actually glued on or anything.
If so then I'd look at adding a small extension pipe & lifting the height of the drain head up but remember you still need to have it working as it's intended so assuming it does do some drainage work the ground needs to fall towards it and it therefore the drain head needs to be the lowest point.
That make sense?

Hi Adam

Council as in local government council. 

I believe it is a stormwater drain, there is a curbside stormwater drain directly in line with that on the curb. So they may be connected?

And yes, it does make sense. I will excavate around the drain and see what I'm working with. 

Thanks

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @duza11

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about what to do with the drain on the side of your proposed pebble driveway.

It's great that you've received fantastic advice from @Adam_W. Just to add to his excellent suggestion, I recommend leveling the parking area first and applying a slope so that water will naturally go towards the drain. Once you have the slope fixed, you can then adjust the level of the drain to the new level of the parking area. 

I suggest using Strol 0.5m² SurePave Plastic Pavers. This product is perfect for gravel or pebble driveways, it prevents sinking potholes and water pooling. Its structure evenly distributes the weight of any vehicle on top of it saving your pebbles from being overly compacted. 

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing the start of your driveway build.

If you need more advice or information, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects